Help with an old watchman

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

DoctorNicholas
Help with an old watchman

Post by DoctorNicholas » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Im sure we all remember these. I would like to connect a yellow rca to it. now let me go to some explaining first. I noticed around channels 5-8 (somewhere) if you have a composite cable plugged into something (what i want to use, a plug n play sega genesis thing), you sorta get this signal (very blurry, fuzzy, tilted, but at least im getting signal). I would like to be able to have an rca jack on the tv itself (camping, want a montior about this size, its cheap and old, not like a psp). Do I need to hack the television to get that signal? Do I need to hack a yellow rca cable and ram it into the antenna slot? Or can I jsut buy some adapter I replace with the antenna slot that has that? Also, my thigns always been tilted:
and I think id have to hack it anyways to fix. any help?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Help with an old watchman

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm

I think most of those early ones are actually tiny CRTs (like you find in old camcorder viewfinders) with some optics to refract the image onto the slanted screen. If you pump an RF signal into it, is the image distorted around the dark corner, or is it just missing?

You might be able to find a place to inject composite between the RF tuner and video driver parts of the board, but it might be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth (especially if it's a monchrome model). You're probably better off buying a modern portable TV, a game console LCD, or a portable DVD player with video input.

DoctorNicholas

Re: Help with an old watchman

Post by DoctorNicholas » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:09 pm

its distorted and dark and tilted (around the corner, as you said). so i am getting signal. i just need a way for it to appear on screen untilted. however if someone has a black and white portable tv with inputs, ill gladly take it off their ahnds :)