RF to Composite video

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Blacksheep32
RF to Composite video

Post by Blacksheep32 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:12 pm

I wanted to know if I could use the same mod/hack from the book for RF to Composite video for the Atari for a Odyssey 2. The 3 wires going from the Odyssey board to the RF circuit are audio, video and 5v with a common ground to the metal shield. Any help would be appreciated!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: RF to Composite video

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:37 pm

You should be able to pull the signals right off those wires if that's actually what they are.

The mod in the book doesn't actually convert RF to composite, it taps the composite signal that would normally go to the RF modulator so it's never RF at all.

Blacksheep32

Post by Blacksheep32 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 pm

So the Audio and Video lines would go to the center for the out cable and the outside of the cable would go to ground? If I understand you correctly I wouldn't need and variable resistors or any other components, correct?

Thanks for your input so far!

Blacksheep32

Post by Blacksheep32 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:45 pm

What am supposed to do with the +5v line? Is that supposed to go to the outside of the connector? I'm not getting a very good signal and it sometimes just "craps" out to no signal.

Kumimono
PSN Username:Kumimono
360 GamerTag:Kumimono
Steam ID:Jarska333

Post by Kumimono » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 am

My quess would be, that the 5v powers the RF modulator inside the Odyssey, and the signals are too weak in themselves to be of use. Not an expert, just happened upon this thread while searching for a fix for a jumpy picture on my Philips Videopac. (I'd wager, that other than the RF modulator putting out NTSC, and 110 mains, PVp and Odyssey are identical.)

(How to boost the signal... Would be nice to get the signal straight from the main board, just in case it's the RF unit that's wonky... :) )

Snipeye

Post by Snipeye » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Just a note: Each RCA connector (those yellow, red, and white cables) has only ONE data going through it. Yellow = Video, While = Left Audio, Red = Right Audio. If you shove them all into one connector, you'd get weird things.