VGA to Component Cable

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Clark101
VGA to Component Cable

Post by Clark101 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:42 pm

I am making a VGA to component cable to use my computer monitor as a TV (hooking it up to a DVD player) and i made my cable taking the RGB from the VGA and connecting it straight to the component cables and of course i connected their grounds for each one. I put 220 uf caps on each of the RGB lines. Well tt doesn't work and my question is? Do i have to do something with the Vert/ Horz Syncs? Should i just attach them to ground? One person said i have to combine them somehow...but that doesn't make any sense. any help would be awesome thanks.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: VGA to Component Cable

Post by hailrazer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Clark101 wrote:I am making a VGA to component cable to use my computer monitor as a TV (hooking it up to a DVD player) and i made my cable taking the RGB from the VGA and connecting it straight to the component cables and of course i connected their grounds for each one. I put 220 uf caps on each of the RGB lines. Well tt doesn't work and my question is? Do i have to do something with the Vert/ Horz Syncs? Should i just attach them to ground? One person said i have to combine them somehow...but that doesn't make any sense. any help would be awesome thanks.
A computer monitor will only accept a component input from a vga input if it is capable of Sync On Green.

And most monitors are not capable of SOG.

You need to make sure yours is.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:33 pm

hailrazer wrote:
Clark101 wrote:I am making a VGA to component cable to use my computer monitor as a TV (hooking it up to a DVD player) and i made my cable taking the RGB from the VGA and connecting it straight to the component cables and of course i connected their grounds for each one. I put 220 uf caps on each of the RGB lines. Well tt doesn't work and my question is? Do i have to do something with the Vert/ Horz Syncs? Should i just attach them to ground? One person said i have to combine them somehow...but that doesn't make any sense. any help would be awesome thanks.
A computer monitor will only accept a component input from a vga input if it is capable of Sync On Green.

And most monitors are not capable of SOG.

You need to make sure yours is.
And even if it does support SOG, the signal also needs to be progressive scan. Interlaced won't work on most computer monitors. (my monitor supports SOG and I've plugged in my PS2 through VGA, but it only works with progressive scan games)

Something like this which actively converts the component signal to a computer-monitor-friendly signal might be a better option:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:52 am

Component is a completely different format than VGA/RGB, the cables are just colored red, green and blue. You need a transcoder to convert from one to the other. I think the others are confused based on certain consoles (PS2 in particular) re-using the component lines in the video cable for VGA when the console is set to output VGA.

If you want to use your monitor as a TV, picking up a DVD recorder with HDMI out and then using a HDMI to DVI cable (pending this is a LCD monitor) would be the easiest setup to get a hold of.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:15 pm

tom61 wrote:Component is a completely different format than VGA/RGB, the cables are just colored red, green and blue. You need a transcoder to convert from one to the other. I think the others are confused based on certain consoles (PS2 in particular) re-using the component lines in the video cable for VGA when the console is set to output VGA.

If you want to use your monitor as a TV, picking up a DVD recorder with HDMI out and then using a HDMI to DVI cable (pending this is a LCD monitor) would be the easiest setup to get a hold of.
Ahh, that's right. I did have to switch my PS2 from component to RGB to use my monitor (and then was frustrated at MGC when the component cable wasn't working, I eventually figured out that it was still set to RGB :lol: ).

Still, that transcoder I linked to earlier (on Monoprice) would work for you. However a new DVD player with HDMI out (as Tom mentioned) might be cheaper.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Clark101

Post by Clark101 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Turns out my monitor doesn't support SOG. Thanks a lot for all the help guys!