Question about ben's solid-state switcher and bus chips!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Macabre
Question about ben's solid-state switcher and bus chips!

Post by Macabre » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am

I was giving Ben's guide on making a solid state switcher a read for a project. I have a few questions that I would love to get answered!

In his guide, with the chips he suggested using, it is possible to get 8 points for input to output. Is it possible to line more than one of these chips to give one item more than 8 points for input/output? (for my project I'm considering a cartridge selector, which has 64 pins). If this would work, how would one go about doing it? Connecting the grnd from the first chip to the vcc of the second chip for that series?

Also, for my project using game cartridges, one of the lines IS a vcc line from the console to the cartridge. Would that work with this solid state switcher? Or being voltage would that cause some trouble?

Finally I've been having a hard time locating these chips that he suggested using. Digi key only sells $3000 lots worth (last time i checked). I did see a few bus chips with greater than could allow me 26 input to outputs, but I'm unfamiliar with IC chips in general, and don't know if this would follow ben's generalized flow for the 8bit chip;

PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~ NiGHTs Pinkal FOnewearl
~ Goth Doll Whitill HUnewearl
~Sega Trade List!~