portable laptopish ps2, wii with screen

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

mistermister2011
portable laptopish ps2, wii with screen

Post by mistermister2011 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Okay so i want to take the nes's guts out and put in a ps2 slim, and a wii inside but not take apart the wii or ps2 just put the m in place to a nes casing and use like a laptop like a dell inspiron of windows 98 screen apart to connect to both systems, or just get a portable dvd player and connect to ps2 and wii with input... any ideas or suggestions on what to do oh and can some one give me an idea for a portable powers suply that has regular inputs like on walls, im new to making portables.

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Re: portable laptopish ps2, wii with screen

Post by humakabula1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:37 am

I think you just went full retard.
Please do your best to form sentances :)
it helps the other users understand what your saying
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I think he is asking if it is possible to:
  1. strip the parts out of a NES case and install both
    • a PS2 slim
      -and-
    • a Wii
    Without removing the either from their casings.
  2. Then use either
    1. a Dell Inspiron (Windows 98) laptop
      -or-
    2. a portable DVD player with AV input
    for the display
  3. Also build (or source) a portable power supply that can be recharged/powered from a wall outlet
Re: 1) (PS2 and Wii) inside (NES)
  • NES: 10" x 8" x 3.5"
  • PS2 slim: 1.1” x 9.1” x 6”
  • Wii: 1.73” x 6.18” x 8.48”
The answer is 'barely'. while both will fit within the dimensions of the NES it will require significant cutting to allow access to the discs and ports of each console.

Re: 2)laptop or DVD player with AV input
Yes, it is possible.
With the laptop you will need to install a video-capture device (for the AV input), configure the software to display correctly; deal with, and resolve any lag issues caused by the software; tollerate distortion and blurring caused by the capture device -or- find a compatible TFT-LCD driver/controller with the appropriate AV input for the screen. (I do not know where you would find this as I have not tried.)
-or- Using a portable DVD player you will need to find the AV input and connect to that.
-or- Use a 'reverse camera display' that you can plug strait into; though a (higher resolution) screen will cost more.

Each option costs between $20-$55 new -or- $5-30 used from classified ads, depending on your luck.

Re: 3) Outlet rechargeable/powered portable power supply
You can buy ready made (often not very good) rechargeable battery packs made for each of these consoles, or you can make your own. Others on this forum can tell you more about this.

com64
PSN Username:Megami64
Steam ID:munchluxe63

Post by com64 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:06 am

There's something I've noticed about the PS2 slim; the disc tray. You'd have to cut a large hole in the top of the NES's casing so that you can access the disc tray. Also, ventilation may be a problem. My Wii often gets pretty warm. However, I don't know about my PS2 Slim since I never use it. Every instruction manual for every game console that I've read has told me that putting consoles in confined spaces is bad. I think it would be better to remove them from their cases.
Finally: the surface!

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:03 pm

come on guys, we all know this is the OP:

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat

Post by Snow_Cat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

It is not fair to us to say "no" to someone. If there they want a mountain to climb then it is better that we overwhelm them with equipment and guides than shut them out without explination.