LCD aspect ratio

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

AngelArm1110
LCD aspect ratio

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:24 pm

i just have a general inquiry about LCDs. i have a monitor that i use for both my ps3 and my computer. its considered wide-screen, but when i play my ps3 on it, the image is stretched vertically. not by much, but the internet browser icon in the XMB looks like an oval, and i know its supposed to be more circular. i have my eye on a monitor to use in an upcoming project which has a specification of being 16:9, and also has built in speakers, so i was just wondering if this would be an indication that its designed to take television standard resolutions, like those that the ps3 outputs, and not vertically stretch the image

this is the monitor i am thinking of, fyi:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: LCD aspect ratio

Post by bicostp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:36 pm

It's probably running a 16:10 ratio (1280x800, 1440x900, etc) and instead of scaling the input properly it just stretches to fill the entire display. Some low-end DVD players do this when you run proper widescreen DVDs (that is, not letterboxed to 4:3) on a regular old TV.

That monitor will display the image correctly, however the image will be fuzzy because it doesn't natively use a standard television res. Depending on size, get one that runs at 1280x720 or 1920x1080. (I highly recommend 1920x1080 for computer monitors around 23" in size.)

AngelArm1110

Re: LCD aspect ratio

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:55 am

hmmm, ok, well i would much rather have my ps3 displayed at native HD resolutions than be distorted and blurry, lol. for that reason im now thinking about this monitor instead:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=4420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it doesnt have the built in audio control, but that was really just a nice bonus with the other one, do you think this one would be a good choice though??