Rechargable Lithium Buttoncell, advice needed.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Snow_Cat
Steam ID:Snow_Cat
Rechargable Lithium Buttoncell, advice needed.

Post by Snow_Cat » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:16 pm
The internal battery in my Fuji 3100 camera died some time ago and I am wondering if there is good documentation for recharging it (it is a rechargeable).

Panasonic's OEM support site does not specify a charging current for any of its formulations, and all of the charger circuits I've found designed specifically for button cells are voltage dividers, and a replacement would cost me $9+ shipping.

So I've decided "meow to that" this camera has no value as it is, and the battery is a ridicilous 119 mV/3 V. Two hours ago I strung enough 'dead' alkaline batteries together to reach under 3V and am hoping the internal resistance is enough to avoid a fire, and clipped the alkaline batteries across the button cell. At this time the button cell has charged up to 2.48 V / 2.55 V / 3 V.

Aside from locking my camera in a box where curious hands will not play with it to see how long the internal battery lasts (not long), are there any suggestions as to how to handle this type of battery? Sketchy documentation aside this looks ideal for battery backup.

edit:
Overnight the button cell battery charged up to 2.45 V; removed the alkaline cells and tried putting in fresh batteries; Still doesn't work. Evidentally the internal power supply board is still working and is applying a charge voltage of 3.1V to the cell. Suspect that the firmware was stored in volitile memory. This probabally explains why now (as was the case years ago) why there is little information about recovering from an internal battery failure- it isn't possible.

Fuji - a four letter word.