Hardware vs. software minimization

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

gannon
Hardware vs. software minimization

Post by gannon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

So, which is better?
Working on a project right now and have been thinking of different methods I can go about. Looks like I can reduce the software by generating some signals based off of other signals, but would require a lot of extra hardware it seems (one line should have a pulse at clock / 8 * # of units)
I'm no electrician, so I was going to go about this with a counter and mux on each board, sending the a pulse to the next board when clock / 8 is reached, then have a loop back.
Seems for something so simple software is more ideal and lower cost, but just an example :P

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Re: Hardware vs. software minimization

Post by jdmlight » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 pm

gannon wrote:So, which is better?
Working on a project right now and have been thinking of different methods I can go about. Looks like I can reduce the software by generating some signals based off of other signals, but would require a lot of extra hardware it seems (one line should have a pulse at clock / 8 * # of units)
I'm no electrician, so I was going to go about this with a counter and mux on each board, sending the a pulse to the next board when clock / 8 is reached, then have a loop back.
Seems for something so simple software is more ideal and lower cost, but just an example :P
That depends. Which do YOU have to maintain?

If you have to maintain the hardware, make that more minimal.

If you have to maintain the software, make that more minimal.
:wink:

If you have to maintain both, think about the goals of the project in general - for example, in the context of this forum, hardware minimization would be better for portablizing reasons.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.