thoughts

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

LotusX
360 GamerTag:LotusChild98
thoughts

Post by LotusX » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Im thinking ill take 4 years of computer science and get my B.S in that, then ill start working on mechanical engineering for two years, just to add on to the computer science. And then if I need to learn anything else. Be a good nerd and use Google and Wiki

17daysolderthannes

Re: thoughts

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Mechanical engineering will take more than 2 years as a second major. Not only will you need to take additional maths (computer science doesn't even have Calculus IIRC, maybe computer engineering or electrical engineering is what you actually want), but most mechanical engineering courses must be taken in order. Hell, just dropping a class here and there, changing my concentration from Thermo to CAD/CAM, and getting a minor in English dragged me out to 6 years (I was planning on being a patent attorney). Also, I'm not sure there are many jobs that would really take advantage of both degrees unless you want to program software for mechanical engineers. Figure out exactly what you want to do and research what kind of jobs each degree will get you (job site searching is one way). Do you want to program code all day? Do you want to design mechanisms in CAD programs? Both degrees lead to very different career paths, so research the exact job you want and see what degrees those people have.