Home made guitar amp overdrive

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

RockNRoll!
Home made guitar amp overdrive

Post by RockNRoll! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:44 pm

I killed an old toy I had laying around to use it's amplifier chip to make a guitar amp using the diagram in figure 16. I wanted overdrive so I took the output from one channel and connected it to the input on the other channel so now it has tons of distortion but it's a little too much so I want to hook up an overdrive knob. Would I just make a simple voltage divider like the one below with a potentiometer or is it more complicated? Any idea how many ohms the pot should be? Also would it be possible to make the input a little more sensitive? It doesn't pick up the guitar if it's it's playing a quiet note like tapping.

Shugs81
PSN Username:Shugs1981
Steam ID:Shugs1981

Re: Home made guitar amp overdrive

Post by Shugs81 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:36 pm

got to http://freestompboxes.org :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I built a £130 pedal for about £40 using layouts from there... many many more i want to build!!

you'll probs be able to just build some monster pedals from there!
Dreamcast Opening Information Finished! need to sort out formating...

Mario

Re: Home made guitar amp overdrive

Post by Mario » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

You always want to put the volume control on the input, never the output. You do use a voltage divider like you have there, but have the top pin come from the guitar, the middle pin go to the amp input, and the bottom pin to ground.