Converting Gateway 7340 Laptop Monitor to standalone..

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator: Moderators

Steel Ah Live
360 GamerTag: Steel Ah Live

Converting Gateway 7340 Laptop Monitor to standalone..

Post by Steel Ah Live » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:51 am

Well, been following Ben here for a long time, just finally decided it was time to register on the boards. I've actually come across a Gateway 7340 Laptop. Almost everything works except some fault on the internals. I was able to boot it up a couple of times and even got so far as to try and format the harddrive and reinstall WinXP Pro. But to no avail, the computer kept blue screening. Well, now since that was what i was hoping for, i dissected the thing. Keeping in mind that i didn't want to break anything, I took it apart very gently and still have all the usable components.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, my question is this...How hard would it be to turn this into a stand alone VGA monitor. The computer itself had VGA out, and supports a resolution of 1280x800. I was thinking either digital picture frame or "low budget" Xbox 360 Laptop Screen. The problem is, not exactly sure how i'm going to wire the sucker up for power, and the screen's pinout plug was 2 rows of well over 10 pins. But there were a few tiny connectors that all went to the motherboard of the computer itself.
example | : : : : : : : : : : : : : |

I can get some pictures up tomorrow of all the connections that were disconnected, it's just that after messing and googling all night i'm a bit tired, and figured i'd come on and introduce myself and pose the question here to the experts.

Thanks,
Steel

PS,
I have a couple of project's I've been working on as well, and one completed project of merging an Xbox 360 wireless headset into an original xbox 360 wired headset's housing. Utilizing the larger speaker, from the Original along with the head piece for comfort. I didn't care for the ear piece on the original wireless device cause it hurt the back of my ear after a few hours of use. If anyone would like to see that i can snap some pictures and may still have the original disassembly pics laying around somewhere.
EDIT
Yeah so I must be getting really tired, I didn't search it out enough here on the forums, and finally after looking a little bit in all these forums had to offer I seem to get the feeling that Laptop Screen's are just to damn proprietary to work with, and seem impossibly difficult due to the controllers being embedded with the graphics cards and mobo's in general. Unless, something has changed, and i again missed some information, feel free to comment, but I am going to bed now, 0415hrs is to many hours wasted on this idea tonight

chipdouglas

Re: Converting Gateway 7340 Laptop Monitor to standalone..

Post by chipdouglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Yeah its a shame that there is no easy and cheap way to convert laptop screens to standalone monitors.
My site: http://whengamescollide.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Converting Gateway 7340 Laptop Monitor to standalone..

Post by hailrazer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Here is the only easy way to use a laptop screen as a standalone :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-R-RM3451 ... 3f01e1bd4d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Email the seller with your lcd make/model and they program the controller and make the lvds and inverter for you.

Then you can decide if you want to make a case for it :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance