Where to start?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator: Moderators

goldensun9753

Where to start?

Post by goldensun9753 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to hacking consoles, and for the time I've looked through these forums, I haven't quite been able to understand all of it, so what do you guys think is a good first project for a noob? Where do I start?

metalcookie

Re: Where to start?

Post by metalcookie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Tell us everything you know about making a portable console. That includes everything (case making, soldering wires, modding any type of electronics, etc)
Citizen Kane

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: Where to start?

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Where are you with soldering? Like have you ever soldered/de-soldered before, own a soldering iron/gun, any general experience with electronic component?

If you can do the grunt work, and that involves soldering you can get a portable made. The area of case modding is going to be more work, and more trial and error, but as I'm sure you've seen a beautiful case is not necessary.

We've been asked a lot where to start and the easiest place to learn to solder is to take old VCR, DVD player, other miscellaneous electronic device, and start practicing soldering wires on and de-soldering components off. You don't have to worry about breaking it, hopefully it's already. This is just to get your skill up in making good solid connections.

Hopefully this answers your questions. If you have more feel free to ask them.

-Sparkfist
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.