CRT TV problems

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

metalcookie
CRT TV problems

Post by metalcookie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 pm

I bought a Sony Wegas at a thrift store for about 50 bucks. Only problem was that almost the whole right side looks like it's been messed up by a magnet.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/8599/img0153jp.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2082/img0150oz.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/8145/img0149dn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The images are quite large.
I did notice that other TVs at that thrift store had the same problem, with only one side being messed up, and they had been sitting right next to other TVs for quite a while. Do I just need to degauss it with a degaussing coil? I'm pretty sure the internal degaussing coil is still working, but just isn't powerful enough.
Citizen Kane

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: CRT TV problems

Post by bicostp » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Looks like they stored it next to some unshielded stereo speakers for a while. Hopefully a magnetized dot mask and not an electrical issue.

If you have a few strong magnets and a power drill, you can use them as a degaussing tool.

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:18 am

I don't have a super strong magnet but I was able to get the picture quality near perfect while playing with a less powerful magnet. For some reason, though, when I unplugged the TV, plugged it back in, and turned it on, It looked exactly the same as it did in the pics. I think there might be a problem with the degaussing coil already inside the TV. If I did fix the discolorations with a degaussing coil and then remove the internal degaussing coil, would it have any negative side effects?
Citizen Kane

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:54 am

Does the TV's menu have a degaussing option? Then you could test for sure if it's the built-in degaussing coil that is causing the problem. If it is the coil, you could probably just cut the power lines to it instead of trying to remove it.

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 pm

It doesn't have a degaussing option in the menu. When my degaussing coil gets here, I'll try fixing it with that. If it does return back to it's magnetized state after unplugging it I might cut the power lines to the internal degaussing coil.
Citizen Kane

metalcookie

Post by metalcookie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:54 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got it fixed. I disconnected the degaussing coil inside of the TV and was able to fix most of the discolorations on the TV with a magnet. Now it's only discolored on the bottom right corner and a bit on the top right. Do you think the external degaussing coil I'm getting will fix the rest of the discoloring?

EDIT: Well, I got the degaussing coil today, and it worked. Apparently.

It's back to how it was when I first got it :( Does that mean that they dropped it on accident and never told me? :evil:
Citizen Kane