The use of portable TV's

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

sonic4freedom
Portablizer
The use of portable TV's

Post by sonic4freedom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:20 pm

You know, I have never seen anyone (Execpt ShockSlayer :lol: ) Use portables TV's for screens. I mean, I have been on eBay all day just looking at these beauty's. They are mostly larger (7" screens), they DO have AV Input, and most have/runs off of a rechargable 7.4v 2400Mah lithium battery (which is actually good, seeing how we use batteries like that ALL the time for N64 portables :? ). They are not TOO expensive (around $49.99-$59.99 + $5-$10 shipping, which is pretty affordable :? ) and the best part? They are WAY more numerous and easier to find than PSONE Screens (Zenith or otherwise..) I mean, I try my best to find PSONE Screens online (their numbers are getting progressively lower) and if I DO find them, there is only ONE and it costs more than $65 WITHOUT shipping even ADDED yet :shock: .

So whats the secret? Why aren't we utilizing these :? ? There are TONS to go around, and they are practically BUILT for us (modders, portablizers and friends) Is there something that could go wrong using these? I know 5" screens are a great size for a portable and using 7" would make a pretty large, wide, and ( I have to admit) weird looking portable, but is that a BIG sacrafice when you look at time and money spent on buying and waiting for parts? When I begin building a portable (Yes, I built one, it's uploaded, but didn't recieve much attention. But I STILL love doing this hobby :wink: ) MOST of my time isn't spent on production, it's actually spent on LOOKING for parts :facepalm: , more specifically, PSONE screens or otherwise. We would save much time and money using Portable LCD TV's and would be a HUGE convience for some of us. No hacking required, no conversion needed, voltage already figured out and variety of brand (No offense Sony :lol: ) I know everything I said is probably a MOUTHFUL (TL:DR :lol: ), but I just don't understand it. Why not use them? and even thought it is larger, we have GREAT innovators on this site who could make some SICK portables with these screens. I mean, heh, I would LOVE to see what Hailrazer, ShockSlayer, TheWise1 and Tecknott do with thses screens :wink: .

I'm not saying turn from your ways, I'm just voicing an opinion that has perplexed me since 10:12am this morning :lol: Tell me what you guys think..
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
SS I miss your old Profile Pictures :lol:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: The use of portable TV's

Post by hailrazer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:32 pm

First they are a lot wider than a 5" screen. So the portable get's even bigger which most people don't want.

Second they are widescreen which means the video is stretched making everything sorta weird looking which nobody wants.

Third the 7" T.V's have a lot of extra parts making them very large and chunky when compared to the Psone screen.

So yea, that's why we don't use them :wink:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Right, they ARE pretty thick :lol: but would widescreen be THAT much of a problem? Also, couldn't you slim (or chop) the board down? I had an Axion TV (its broken now) and it was actually REALLY thin.
ShockSlayer wrote:Jarate ftw. Shards of glass in your eyes, piss all over you, and someone is about to kill you. What a way to die.
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:25 pm

sonic4freedom wrote:Right, they ARE pretty thick :lol: but would widescreen be THAT much of a problem? Also, couldn't you slim (or chop) the board down? I had an Axion TV (its broken now) and it was actually REALLY thin.
Like I said the majority of the people that build/want portables HATE the stretch that widescreen produces.

And "maybe" you can slim them down , but with all the negatives why do it?
And with all the different makes/models of 7" T.V's on the market who knows what you will get or if it will slim down.

The Psone screen works perfect and there are still plenty of them.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 am

You live in America, right? If you can give me links to ANY screens you are using I would GREATLY appreciate it! :D
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:28 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-Zenith-5-TFT-L ... 335b39de87

There's a Zenith for $45 + $5 shipping, for $50 total. (the Zenith = the PSOne, they're exactly the same, I have both the PSOne and the Zenith, the controller board and screen look exactly the same)
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:29 am

Most of the portable TVs, even the larger ones, are fairly low resolution and look rather pixelated, in my experience.

If you want a cheaper alternative, look into automotive backup camera screens.

sonic4freedom
Portablizer

Post by sonic4freedom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 am

jdmlight you rock dude! is the seller only selling one? where could I get more? thanks for all the help fellas :wink:

. . .now if only someone would help me with my battery issue :wtf:
-----------------
The Rising Portablizer

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

How many times have we posted this link :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3D1&_rdc=1
My Portable Systems: