Transferring PS2 saves from GameFAQs to a Memory Card

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
Transferring PS2 saves from GameFAQs to a Memory Card

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:52 pm

First, a list of what I have at my disposal:

PS2 Fat (SCPH 3000)
PS2 Slim (SCPH 7001)
8MB official Sony Memory Card
more flash drives than you can shake a stick at (ranging from 1GB to 8GB)
MacBook Pro with Windows XP capabilities through Parallels or Bootcamp
(soon) Swap Magic 3.6 (unless someone has a reason to get 3.8 instead)
(soon) FreeMCBoot via Swap Magic install method

So, what is the easiest way to get a save file from GameFAQs and transfer it over? Has anyone made a program to allow those PS2->PS3 memory card adapters work on a PC yet?

All of the posts I found with a google search are about 2 years old, so I was wondering what the latest and greatest is.

The best way I've seen so far is to use PS2 Save Builder and then use uLaunchELF to copy it over to the memory card from a USB Flash Drive. That's fine and all, but it would be nice to be able to just plug in an adapter (the PS2->PS3 adapter) and copy/backup saves that way.

here's the link to the best tutorial I've found so far: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366481" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even better, since I'll have Free MCBoot soon and will be able to boot a DVD, is there a PS2 equivalent to this?: http://dcisozone.com/downloads/678/Dream-Explorer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dark-Show

Re: Transferring PS2 saves from GameFAQs to a Memory Card

Post by Dark-Show » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:20 pm

drivers havent been made yet for the pc adaptors but if you can boot up a program like uLaunchElf (which should be easy using swapmagic) it has a built in memory card manager. uLaunchElf also supports USB sticks and HDD's with the proper drivers installed in the right places. take a look on sksapps, lots of good info their to get you started.

EDIT: also if you know someone that can transfer saves already they can back them up in the signed PS3 file format for PS2 memory cards and you can use your adapter to transfer them over.

and to save you trouble you dont need swapmagic to install freeMCboot (if you have a fatty) just use gameshark to install the independace exploit then install freeMCboot from their, its what i did and it worked fine. although had to play with the gamesaves format with the ps2 saves convertors.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 pm

I don't have a Gameshark, though, and I'd rather buy the Swap Magic discs (they're only $25) b/c allegedly some games won't work with ESR and I could play those with the actual Swap Magic discs. I haven't done it to my slim yet, but if needed I can dismantle the "lid closed" switches and solder the traces together (done it before on other consoles with awesome results) so I can use the Swap Magic discs.

Dark-Show

Post by Dark-Show » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:47 am

well i dont beleave where supposed to be talking about mods to help piracy but for the games that wont work with ESR look into a program called cogswap. (its the same as swapmagic) so if you can get a gameshark (compatible with independance exploit) for a cheaper price, i say take that route

Dark-Show

Post by Dark-Show » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:00 am

heh but why pay for something as closed source as that when we have so many other ways, plus its a little expensive.

Dark-Show

Post by Dark-Show » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:39 pm

uLaunchElf lets you manage your memory cards, just like that VMU mini os does.

once you get the hang of using the save convertor its only a matter of converting poping on a usb drive then coping it to the memory card using uLE.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:36 pm

Dark-Show wrote:well i dont beleave where supposed to be talking about mods to help piracy but for the games that wont work with ESR look into a program called cogswap. (its the same as swapmagic) so if you can get a gameshark (compatible with independance exploit) for a cheaper price, i say take that route
I'm not going to using it for piracy, I need it because I'll be moving to NYC soon and since I won't have space for my collection, I'm converting all of the games I want to play to DVD-R and just putting them in a binder (like I already did with my Dreamcast collection). I mean, I could put the real games in a binder, but then all it would take is one dishonest friend to throw that binder in his bag and I'd be out 100's of dollars. With DVD-Rs, there's really no face value, so even if they stole it, it would just be inconvenient. Also, with the Free MCBoot memory card, I can just bring the memory card and my games to a friend's apartment and just plug it in and play and I won't have to worry about my mint condition games getting damaged.
Raizer04 wrote:BEHOLD MY ENTRY!!

Memor32 is what your looking for

http://www.memor32.com/

*Not considered piracy if he just wants to get the game saves....but i understand where your headed...lol.
That seems like £50 (about $75 US) too much, lol. I'd have to be doing some serious save swapping to justify that kind of money. I'd rather buy a stock pile of memory cards and just have redundant backups of my saves.
Dark-Show wrote:heh but why pay for something as closed source as that when we have so many other ways, plus its a little expensive.
+1
Dark-Show wrote:uLaunchElf lets you manage your memory cards, just like that VMU mini os does.

once you get the hang of using the save convertor its only a matter of converting poping on a usb drive then coping it to the memory card using uLE.
nice, well that's great then. This way I can back up my saves and clean up my cards for every day use. Also, I can just download 100% Gran Turismo saves since there is no effing way I'm going to play those god damn 24 hour races.