What is the best place to go for disk repairs.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Thatguy
What is the best place to go for disk repairs.

Post by Thatguy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:18 am

I just received some game disks that were either scratched or cracked.
Can i fix them myself somehow?

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Re: What is the best place to go for disk repairs.

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:14 am

If you were near my location, I'd say the store I work at. We have a disc repair machine that basically takes all the layers (except the data layer) from the disk, and reapplies them. Looks brand new after.

But, you're probably not. So, go to a hardware store and look for "brasso". Its a polish, it can polish up the CD, and fill the scratches.

Thatguy

Post by Thatguy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:28 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:If you were near my location, I'd say the store I work at. We have a disc repair machine that basically takes all the layers (except the data layer) from the disk, and reapplies them. Looks brand new after.

But, you're probably not. So, go to a hardware store and look for "brasso". Its a polish, it can polish up the CD, and fill the scratches.
will it work with the original playstation games?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 pm

How bad are the scratches? You might be able to fix them with car scratch remover. (Polishing compound works, I like this "Scratch-X" stuff; it's not gritty at all and won't make any scratches of its own.)

If the discs are fractured or the silver data layer is damaged, it's easier to write it off and track down another copy (if possible).

Thatguy

Post by Thatguy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm

bicostp wrote:How bad are the scratches? You might be able to fix them with car scratch remover. (Polishing compound works, I like this "Scratch-X" stuff; it's not gritty at all and won't make any scratches of its own.)

If the discs are fractured or the silver data layer is damaged, it's easier to write it off and track down another copy (if possible).
Most of the disks that need fixing are covered with light to medium scratches.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:21 am

A real easy method I use is a car buffer. Since I'm in the automobile repair business I have one laying around. Put a new pad on it, turn it on upside down. Grab the disc in your hand and lay it on the turning pad. (It won't hurt if you touch it). Spin disc and repeat four times. Buffs the scratches right out.

Use a wool pad and not a foam pad. Rpm's can be pretty high. Hold on to disc tightly or it will shoot out of your hands and might hit your cat.

I can do a video if you want me to :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

OMGpedobear

Post by OMGpedobear » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Id liek you to do a video :P, out of curiosity and cod 4 being unredable :(.

Thatguy

Post by Thatguy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:If you were near my location, I'd say the store I work at. We have a disc repair machine that basically takes all the layers (except the data layer) from the disk, and reapplies them. Looks brand new after.

Tried it.
It only served to further scratch my cd's.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 am

hailrazer wrote:it will shoot out of your hands and might hit your cat.
poor cat :mrgreen:
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

catsaiyan

Post by catsaiyan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:03 am