[Unknown]

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer
[Unknown]

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:00 pm

[Unknown]
Last edited by SonyPortableizer on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

tzt2

Re: EMP Interference Project Help

Post by tzt2 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 pm

An EMP is a bad thing for electronics. The purpose of a manmade EMP device like this is to kill electronics, while you may be able to make a very weak model that may cause interference (I don't know) - you should be aware of the dangers. While I have not ever made one myself, my understanding is the RF energy from the device overloads other electronics within it's radius, shorting them out internally. Not a situation something can recover from.

If you are bent on making this, then the affected radius will be dependent on your series configuration of caps. However know that items within this radius run a good chance of being disabled, permanently. This will include items that you are not even aware of, the best example is something health related - insulin pumps, pacemakers...things that help keep people...alive.

This is something you need to fully understand in order to build, I'd go so fr as to say if you don't understand the instructions provided, you shouldn't be making it. Not to mention the legal ramifications....ESPECIALLY nowadays.

You say first you want to cause interference, then end with you aren't going to make this....stick with what you ended with.

If you're looking to pull some pranks with people and their electronics - do it another way.

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Don't get me wrong this is a good research project but it is very dangerous to pull off. I did a quick search that some cases the devices have to be on when emp occured. In most cases it destroys everything that is electrical. And I further looked into the subject and US isn't really kind to people that try to do such a thing. I found something like it but it only works on cell phones. I would check more on cell phone scrambler or jammer I found a guide for it but the link was broken to make sure.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:55 pm

If you guys knew a lot about electromagnetics, you'd realize that some small capacitors and a battery isn't going to create enough magnetic field to do anything. I dont even want to touch that link, the person who wrote it is pretty ignorant. Charging a 400v, 80uF capacitor from a camera with a 9v battery doesn't even make sense.

Ive shorted giant capacitors at work through wires before and it didn't do crap to anything. Except the wire. the wire was vaporized. I think kurt made a little coil gun that ran off camera caps and had a coil around a pen. It shot little steel BBs but It didnt break anyones digital watch.

The EMP devices used by the military usually employ some kind nuclear warhead. Have you even read the Wikipedia article?

Fortunately for you, there is a such thing as a "Non-Nuclear EMP". You are going to need chemical explosives though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromag ... etic_pulse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That said, I always wanted to create a giant electromagnet, hook it up to mains AC, and see if i could break stuff by holding them right up next to it. Im talking a 2500W electromagnet. ... Not that Im encouraging you to do this in any way.... :wink:

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 am

timmeh87 wrote:If you guys knew a lot about electromagnetics, you'd realize that some small capacitors and a battery isn't going to create enough magnetic field to do anything. I dont even want to touch that link, the person who wrote it is pretty ignorant. Charging a 400v, 80uF capacitor from a camera with a 9v battery doesn't even make sense.

Ive shorted giant capacitors at work through wires before and it didn't do crap to anything. Except the wire. the wire was vaporized. I think kurt made a little coil gun that ran off camera caps and had a coil around a pen. It shot little steel BBs but It didnt break anyones digital watch.

The EMP devices used by the military usually employ some kind nuclear warhead. Have you even read the Wikipedia article?

Fortunately for you, there is a such thing as a "Non-Nuclear EMP". You are going to need chemical explosives though...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromag ... etic_pulse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That said, I always wanted to create a giant electromagnet, hook it up to mains AC, and see if i could break stuff by holding them right up next to it. Im talking a 2500W electromagnet. ... Not that Im encouraging you to do this in any way.... :wink:
Well, there is a design for an emp without an explosion but its far too expensive. I try to avoid anything wikipedia but that is just me. Here is a link for the article http://www.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:20 pm

tzt2 wrote:If you are bent on making this, then the affected radius will be dependent on your series configuration of caps. However know that items within this radius run a good chance of being disabled, permanently. This will include items that you are not even aware of, the best example is something health related - insulin pumps, pacemakers...things that help keep people...alive.
+1000

Took the words out of my mouth.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:06 am

Whoever wrote that "article" is retarded.

Basically, you can't do it, I'm researching this same thing in my engineering physics classes. You'll need a huge crapton of energy and a coil with lots of turns.