Building a Lithium-Ion external battery

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

knowledgegranted
Building a Lithium-Ion external battery

Post by knowledgegranted » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Hey Guys,

First post here, but anyways, I'm looking to build an external battery using Lithium-Ion batteries. I have never done anything with Li-Ion batteries before and I found they are actually very dangerous. Can anyone help me out with a 'safe' Charging and dis charging circuit? The configuration of the batteries I will be using is below.

Thanks in Advance!

An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.

tom61

Re: Building a Lithium-Ion external battery

Post by tom61 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:42 pm

All cells need to have the same impedance to charge and discharge correctly. If you have these salvaged from devices, or bought them cheap individually, they will very likely have varying impedances. If you don't have the cells already, you can order impedance matched sets off places like batteryspace.com or just get an external battery pack intended for a portable DVD player or laptop.

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:46 pm

All batteries are the exact same, they came from a dell XPS battery pack. It had 12 separate 18650 batteries in it; All the same impedance.
An enthusiast in all of my interests, computers, consumer electronics, engineering, politics, economics, and global affairs.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:32 am

knowledgegranted wrote:All batteries are the exact same, they came from a dell XPS battery pack. It had 12 separate 18650 batteries in it; All the same impedance.
Welcome knowledgegranted... How did you go about determening the impedance?
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

knowledgegranted

Post by knowledgegranted » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:53 am

I'm not sure of their exact impedance; I can only assume they are the same as they are from the same battery pack and are the same model of lithium-Ion battery.

For those Lithium-Ion users out there, help me so I don't have batteries blowing up in my face from not knowing proper li-ion battery charging circuits.