Ok need some help with unbricking router!

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

logimastertech
Ok need some help with unbricking router!

Post by logimastertech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Last week I decided to give a try at a wrt firmware (openwrt) but I found out that my cpu on the motherboard of the router was ralink, and not rdc. Anyways, after the flash happened I thought it worked, unfourntly, the router just acts as a passthrough device, so no wireless, no dhcp, but lan could connect and this would mean that it would be a wired router. Due to a problem though, I have wireless devices.

Ok so I allready got the pinning out of the serial port (my router is a belkin f5d9230-4 ver 5000) which has a serial port onboard.

the pinning looks like this

[ ]9 [RX ]7 [ ]5 [ ]3 [TX ]1 <
[GND]8 [GND]6 [Vcc]4 [Vcc]2

belkin pinout - serial

Pin 1 - Tx
Pin 2 - 3.3v
Pin 3 - none
Pin 4 - 3.3v
Pin 5 - none
Pin 6 - GND
Pin 7 - Rx
Pin 8 - GND
Pin 9 - None
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now my question

1.) do I need to use a usb to serial converter ic board (one where I solder 4 pins for tx, rx, 3.3v, and gnd)
1.A.) If i need this converter, will any converter work and what would be a sufficient power supply because my mobo needs 5v's but i can go around 4.8 which keeps the board from frying if the motherboard went to 5.1v

2.) could i use a reguler usb to serial cable, solder a db9 connector to the serial port on the motherboard, and connect to the usb to serial cable as well as soldering on the db9 connector a sufficient 5v supply or lower power supply? This way I can save money, and would be able to use putty still to access the U-Boot of the router.

Well that is my question, please help me so I don't have to go buy a new router (even though I want to, lol)

Thanks!

Aguiluz

Re: Ok need some help with unbricking router!

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:20 pm

Does it connect via LAN but then says "limited or no connectivity?"

On my Trendnet 632BRP, it had a debrick menu that could be accessed by doing a series of reset button presses then plugging a PC in, then when it gets to "limited or no connectivity" assign a manual IP then go to 192.168.0.1 then there will be a debrick menu that you can upload the stock FW in. Don't know if that will work for you though.

EDIT: So it works via wired and you can access the net that way? Check the control panel. You might be able to flash the stock FW back.

logimastertech

Post by logimastertech » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 pm

i dont beleive it has a debrick webpage. ill try, but highly doubt. as for when its connected lan, i get an ip address of 192.168.1.x

my modem lan is 192.168.1.254

edit: the connection through the router exists, but just detects the modem, my router dhcp was set up for x.x.2.1 so instead its pretty much just adding lan ports.

edit 2: also i highly doubt it like a said because the firmwares pretty much useless on the router atm and no current way to access it besides using a serial connection to tftp and get through U-boot and uploading a new firmware

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 pm

You can post internal LAN addresses without worry.

When you go to the router page, what do you get?

EDIT: My router has U-Boot. It is highly likely that it can run the debrick process because it's the same bootloader.

logimastertech

Post by logimastertech » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:30 am

well thats another thing, I can access the router webpage. its just pretty much acting as more lan ports and thats it with no assigned dhcp or local ip pool