Lead Free Solder?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14
Lead Free Solder?

Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:13 am

When working on portables, is it fine to use lead free solder? It's the only kind I have laying around... would it be bad to use, since I am pretty sure the solder used on game consoles contain lead... and would it be bad to mix these two kinds? Thanks if you can answer my questions!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

collinE

Re: Lead Free Solder?

Post by collinE » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:29 am

it is 100% ok :D
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 am

It's okay to mix the two. The only issue with using lead free solder is that you might need to use a higher temperature, but really that's about it.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:45 pm

plus lead free solder should be safer to eat!
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:53 pm

It doesn't taste as good though. :|

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:58 pm

XD

Ya, lead free solder is a big issue on consoles like the 360 and PS3, new stuff, because it is more brittle, or is that just the particular solder that they used on those consoles?

Klaymator14
PSN Username:Klaymator14

Post by Klaymator14 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Haha, ok, thanks everyone! I got my Dreamcast hooked up to my picoPSU, now I just need to wire the screen up, then I need to wait for my battery and controller to be delivered. Thanks!

-Blayke
Nothing to see here.

UTVAK315

Post by UTVAK315 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:20 am

I personally don't like mixing them but that could be my own superstition against it. I usually just clean off any old solder and put down my new solder in place of it to avoid mixing. Lead free in consoles would actually be better than lead because it has a higher melting point, its just that they are too hot to begin with.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:53 am

UTVAK315 wrote:I personally don't like mixing them but that could be my own superstition against it. I usually just clean off any old solder and put down my new solder in place of it to avoid mixing. Lead free in consoles would actually be better than lead because it has a higher melting point, its just that they are too hot to begin with.
They're basically the same. Mixing lead-free and leaded solder will just give you leaded solder with a little less lead in it. Cleaning off the old solder is still a good idea though, since it will likely have oxide and/or other dirt on the surface. But this would be true with the existing joint had the same type of solder as the one you're using.
As for your second point, if a video game console gets so hot that it's risking to melt the solder, then you have other problems. (Ie a short circuit or you need a heatsink.)
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

UTVAK315

Post by UTVAK315 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:14 pm

nitro2k01 wrote:
UTVAK315 wrote:I personally don't like mixing them but that could be my own superstition against it. I usually just clean off any old solder and put down my new solder in place of it to avoid mixing. Lead free in consoles would actually be better than lead because it has a higher melting point, its just that they are too hot to begin with.
They're basically the same. Mixing lead-free and leaded solder will just give you leaded solder with a little less lead in it. Cleaning off the old solder is still a good idea though, since it will likely have oxide and/or other dirt on the surface. But this would be true with the existing joint had the same type of solder as the one you're using.
As for your second point, if a video game console gets so hot that it's risking to melt the solder, then you have other problems. (Ie a short circuit or you need a heatsink.)
That's completely true. I was primarily thinking of the 360 and all the issues with overheating. Although its because of the heatsinks and not the solder. Which is exactly what you are saying anyways.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Oh the 360, that's a different story. I was just assuming you were talking about old-school consoles. Sorry. :)
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total