analog audio and digital audio

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

collinE
analog audio and digital audio

Post by collinE » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm really unfamiliar with the audio portion of modding. I know its as simple as "this goes here" and that goes there" for wiring analog audio on most console portables we do.

As far as wiring a 360 up to a monitor, I can use the DVI/VGA connector or follow a pinout for video, but how do you go about wiring it up to the monitor's audio input? Do you need an expensive converter?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Re: analog audio and digital audio

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:31 pm

There should be a stereo/mono headphone connector on the monitor board. Hopefully there will be labels as to which pole is ground, which is left, and which is right. The same should be on the 360, but probably not a headphone jack. It is as you said- this wire goes here, etc. I don't think VGA has audio,and I don't know about DVI...

collinE

Post by collinE » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:55 pm

agh! I'm basically a noob! Can a mod please move this to whatever section would be most appropriate?

thanks for a speedy response, snowpenguin. It does have a headphone jack, but it also has a single audio input jack. I haven't cracked it open yet cause I'm just brainstorming for now. It's the original Westinghouse monitor that Ben used in his 360 laptop so it has built in speakers.

Also, you're saying the 360 does have the option to output digital audio and I would bypass the need to have a converter of sorts?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:07 pm

I really don't know anything about the 360. Sorry. Just saying about input on the screen. Are you just looking for standard stereo audio? Then find a pinout for the AV connector on the 360 and there should be audio in there somewhere.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:17 am

collinE wrote:Can a mod please move this to whatever section would be most appropriate?
Sure, I like this one bestest
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.