Best Soldering Iron?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534
Re: Best Soldering Iron?

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:45 am

n1teblad3 wrote:I actually I thought you just heat up the old solder and pull it off :oops:
If I'm understanding you correctly, that's what I usually do. Not the "right" way, but it works.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:12 pm

nevermind1534 wrote:
n1teblad3 wrote:I actually I thought you just heat up the old solder and pull it off :oops:
If I'm understanding you correctly, that's what I usually do. Not the "right" way, but it works.
It only works with a few closely spaced pins. More than that and it's impossible to get the thingy off without destroying something.

ZK2AC

Post by ZK2AC » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Life of Brian wrote:I picked up a 40W Weller iron from Home Depot for $17. It has a very pointy tip and heats up quickly. I do pretty much everything with it now.
I think i'm gonna get that one, and how long did you have it for?

nevermind1534
Steam ID:nevermind1534

Post by nevermind1534 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:15 pm

XCVG wrote:
nevermind1534 wrote:
It only works with a few closely spaced pins. More than that and it's impossible to get the thingy off without destroying something.
If it's a cartslot or something, then yeah. If it's just caps, it works.

I use the propane torch for cartslots; definitely not the right thing to use, but I'm careful with it. I WOULD NOT recommend using my methods. It is very easy to kill your board this way.
Kyo wrote:"does anyone here know how to fly a plane?"

"STAND BACK EVERYBODY, I HAVE A FAKE ID"

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:33 pm

ZK2AC wrote:I think i'm gonna get that one, and how long did you have it for?
I've been using it for a couple of weeks. It's sometimes a bit too hot for what I'm doing, so if you see the 25W one then grab that.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:49 pm

I've got a really old 60w Weller. It's AWESOME. Powers through just about everything, but SMD parts take some finesse. The base is a 'WTCPN' and the iron itself is a "TC201P". No temperature control but I <3 it anyways.

*Hugs soldering iron*

*sizzling noises*

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a pretty cheap one from radioshack that can switch between 15w and 30w. I haven't had any real problems with it yet...well except for the fact it turned brown/rust color pretty quickly... not sure if all irons do that or if I can thank the guys at radioshack for that.

ptj

Post by ptj » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Zero_D wrote:I have a pretty cheap one from radioshack that can switch between 15w and 30w. I haven't had any real problems with it yet...well except for the fact it turned brown/rust color pretty quickly... not sure if all irons do that or if I can thank the guys at radioshack for that.
I have (had) the same one too. It just died on me within the last hour hour. After replacing the tip and twisting the top half a lot it shorted out on me inside. I never had any problems with the tip coming loose. I want a nicer one but I want it now and I don't want to order online. Might have to go back to the shack....

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:24 pm

ptj wrote:I have (had) the same one too. It just died on me within the last hour hour. After replacing the tip and twisting the top half a lot it shorted out on me inside. I never had any problems with the tip coming loose. I want a nicer one but I want it now and I don't want to order online. Might have to go back to the shack....
That worries me a bit, but if that happens to mine I guess I'd just have an excuse to get a better one. Did yours turn brown quickly too?

ptj

Post by ptj » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes, but that didn't really seem to affect anything. My advice is to only partially unscrew the screw if you ever replace the tip. I think my problem was caused when twisting the top part to find the lost screw hole.

I just bought 2 of these for less than $10 total. 30watts, a two year warranty, a narrow tip and a back up. Seems like a like a good deal. I will report if they are quality.

Zero_D

Post by Zero_D » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 am

Wow, thats a really cheap price for a soldering iron. I'd definitely be interested in hearing how well they work once you get them and use 'em for a bit.