Help me decipher this

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

DJ711
Location:Deep in the garage trying so very hard not to fry my N64. Oh! Also NY
Help me decipher this

Post by DJ711 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:27 pm

Look, this is what I keep getting when I try to play a computer game. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Here is what I get:

Build KillingFloor_Build_[2009-02-09_10.82]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1496 MHz with 2037MB RAM
Video: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (1409)

General protection fault!

History: CheckTag <- LoadSummary <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- TestReach <- (LinkerLoad Package.LinkerLoad) <- FPackageInfo<< <- TArray<< <- UPackageMap::Serialize <- TestReach <- (PackageMapLevel Package.TcpipConnection.PackageMapLevel) <- UNetConnection::Serialize <- TestReach <- (TcpipConnection Package.TcpipConnection) <- UNetDriver::Serialize <- TestReach <- (TcpNetDriver Package.TcpNetDriver) <- ULevelBase::Serialize <- TestReach <- (NetPendingLevel Package.NetPendingLevel) <- UStruct::SerializeBin <- (Class Engine.GameEngine GPendingLevel[0]) <- UObject::Serialize <- (GameEngine Package.GameEngine) <- UGameEngine::Serialize <- (GameEngine Package.GameEngine) <- UGameEngine::Serialize <- (GameEngine Package.GameEngine) <- TestReach <- (GameEngine Package.GameEngine) <- TArray<< <- UObject::SerializeRootSet <- UObject::CollectGarbage <- AttemptLoadPending <- TickPending <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Please Help!
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

robm

Re: Help me decipher this

Post by robm » Tue May 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Usually with a GPF you'll get a stop code, (looks like 0x0000005 or some such,) which does you zero good unless you happen to be the developer, or the problem happens to be the same exact error that a bunch of people get with the game. GPFs happen for any number of reasons on different systems, ranging from video driver issues, faulty RAM, hard drive read errors occasionally, and endlessly more.

See if you can't get a stop code from the GPF and Google it - mayhap it's a common enough issue that has been documented. Otherwise, get a real video card instead of using your motherboard's on-board and upgrade to XP, then try again.

What game, btw?

Edit: Looking back over your specs, looks like this might be a laptop - if it is, disregard (obviously) my graphic card suggestion.

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:36 pm

robm wrote:Usually with a GPF you'll get a stop code, (looks like 0x0000005 or some such,) which does you zero good unless you happen to be the developer, or the problem happens to be the same exact error that a bunch of people get with the game. GPFs happen for any number of reasons on different systems, ranging from video driver issues, faulty RAM, hard drive read errors occasionally, and endlessly more.

See if you can't get a stop code from the GPF and Google it - mayhap it's a common enough issue that has been documented. Otherwise, get a real video card instead of using your motherboard's on-board and upgrade to XP, then try again.

What game, btw?

Edit: Looking back over your specs, looks like this might be a laptop - if it is, disregard (obviously) my graphic card suggestion.
Killing Floor.

a lot of people have been getting this error. It might just be because this game is brand new and has some bugs that need to be worked out.
I haven't been here in awhile, and looking back it's one of the worst ideas I ever had. I'm back and I'll be here for awhile, I was quite active 1 year ago and I hope to become that again.

robm

Post by robm » Tue May 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Heh, I figured it was called Killing Floor, but the name didn't ring a bell, so I wasn't sure.

If a lot of people have been getting the error, then there's a problem that the developers need to work on. Try updating to the newest drivers for your video card/chipset, and try again - you didn't say whether you had a laptop or desktop. Did you find the stop address?

DJ711

Post by DJ711 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:10 am

robm wrote:Heh, I figured it was called Killing Floor, but the name didn't ring a bell, so I wasn't sure.

If a lot of people have been getting the error, then there's a problem that the developers need to work on. Try updating to the newest drivers for your video card/chipset, and try again - you didn't say whether you had a laptop or desktop. Did you find the stop address?
It's like left 4 dead.

I have no idea where the stop adress is.

I have a laptop