A question about Powerpacks that plug into the wall

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

tysonDS
A question about Powerpacks that plug into the wall

Post by tysonDS » Fri May 01, 2009 12:04 am

Hi guys,

Sorry for my noobishness, it's been 10 years since I was last in high school electronics class and even then I was too busy gawking at girls.

The default power plug that comes with a Gamecube or SNES, that you plug into the wall.. that turns 240v AC into 12v DC - my question is with those powerpacks is it possible to get a really small one?
I mean, atm it's a massive brick, if I could get a really small one (like the PSP one maybe even smaller) I could combine it into my Gamecube or SNES and have a Gamecube Lite. *(I'm not looking to make a portable with batteries atm.)

I once saw a very very nice Gamecube portable on the net, and the guy had to plug it into the wall to play it, however the plug was very short and I couldn't see a powerpack anywhere.

Hey, I think this is the one:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/26/fan-m ... s-a-beast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by tysonDS on Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am a case modder trying to be a portablizer. Will get there one day. :)

tysonDS

Re: A question about Powerpacks that plug into the wall

Post by tysonDS » Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 am

lol, I just had a flashback, I remember sitting next to my friend Jimmy, and in class he was making a 12v power supply on a breadboard, and I remember saying to him "when are you ever going to need something like that?"

*FACEPALM*

p.s - um, I really don't think I should be thinking of messing around with transformers perhaps.
I am a case modder trying to be a portablizer. Will get there one day. :)

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 am

What you need is a switching type adapter. They're smaller but above all they're much lighter since they're using a much smaller transformer for the same wattage. I recommend the type used for externel HD's.
Try this one for example: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have one of these for my HD and it gives 5V and 12V, which should be perfect, 12V for the screen, 5V for the CPU. (On most consoles there's a 7805 regulator to regulate the 9V, so bypass the 7805 and connect the 5V directly)
Never mind the euro style cord - these adapters usually accept a wide range of input voltages, typically 100V-250V.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

codeman

Post by codeman » Fri May 01, 2009 8:57 am

Yeah...what he said. Getting a wall adapter is the easier way to go. I like this one:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... tId=380139&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive