HDD format halp.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

HBN
HDD format halp.

Post by HBN » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Need to format, or rather reformat, a 40gig 2.5" SATA HDD (A PS3 harddrive, actually. Still has the PS3 OS on it) for memory storage. What format should I choose? Which is the best? Or...

Would it be better to just... sell/trade this to a forum member and buy/trade a new, unformatted, drive of equal, or greater size?
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Mario

Re: HDD format halp.

Post by Mario » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 am

If it's a standard connection, hook it up to a computer, boot into DOS (or use a boot disk) and use the "format X:" command. X is the drive.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:18 am

There is no such thing as "booting into DOS" in NT based systems. :P There is no DOS.

It should be a regular SATA drive. Plug it in, boot up, and start Windows normally. Then right-click My Computer, select Manage, then Disk Manager. From there you can delete the partition on the PS3 drive and make a new one. (Use NTFS.)

HBN

Post by HBN » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:23 pm

bicostp wrote:There is no such thing as "booting into DOS" in NT based systems. :P There is no DOS.

It should be a regular SATA drive. Plug it in, boot up, and start Windows normally. Then right-click My Computer, select Manage, then Disk Manager. From there you can delete the partition on the PS3 drive and make a new one. (Use NTFS.)
All I needed was "NTFS". Thanks, lol.
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!