desktop hd in laptop

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

themadhacker
desktop hd in laptop

Post by themadhacker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:44 pm

I just bought a laptop with a wiped hd in it. I can not install a windows 98/200,xp in it though, because I have no disks to do so. But I have a hd from my old windows 98 desktop. So can I hook it up to the laptop? I know It would be too big to fit inside, but could it work?
rest in peace, Ronnie James Dio! \m/

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm

You'd have to find a 12v source in the laptop, and it would suck your batteries dry in no time, but yes, it would work.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Also, you'll need an adapter of some kind, as 2.5" IDE connectors are smaller than 3.5" IDE connectors.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Mario wrote:You'd have to find a 12v source in the laptop, and it would suck your batteries dry in no time, but yes, it would work.
Well then, screw it. I wish the laptop hadn't been wiped...or that I had an upgrade disk .

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm

themadhacker wrote:
Mario wrote:You'd have to find a 12v source in the laptop, and it would suck your batteries dry in no time, but yes, it would work.
Well then, screw it. I wish the laptop hadn't been wiped...or that I had an upgrade disk .
Get FreeDOS... It's great! :)

EDIT: No, wait! Get Linux! :shock:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Does it have a product key on the bottom? I see nothing wrong with downloading windows if you have a legit key.

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:05 am

Indeed, the disk itself isn't the issue - it's the license. As long as it's got the sticker you should be ok as long as you use that license's activation code. Of course make sure you're getting a good disk. It sucks when you download a whole torrent of a Windows disk and all you get is a rip of "Amélie" without subtitles.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:19 am

APHawkes wrote:Indeed, the disk itself isn't the issue - it's the license. As long as it's got the sticker you should be ok as long as you use that license's activation code. Of course make sure you're getting a good disk. It sucks when you download a whole torrent of a Windows disk and all you get is a rip of "Amélie" without subtitles.
Better yet, find a friend who owns a legit copy, and use your own serial. Of course, with the current state of affairs, you might not be able to find a friend that actually has a legit copy. :roll:
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:12 am

If the laptop has any USB ports check for any updates on the BIOS to see if you can boot it from a USB hard drive. That would be the best way to go, I can see. Enclosure will run you on the low end about $15 to as much as $35 for a USB 2.0 & Firewire. But you'll be able to just plug it in and run it.

You might have to do some research about booting Windows this way. I'm not sure if it's easy. Also you have to keep in mind that it might be a little slow when compared to say an EIDE drive, but not as much as you'd think.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

themadhacker

Post by themadhacker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:24 pm

I actually have a disk for windows 98...but without product key. Now
I am searching for friends with an upgrade.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:50 pm

What kind of laptop is it?