CD Player Laser Pinout

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Adam G
CD Player Laser Pinout

Post by Adam G » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:32 pm

I just need to know which is left and which is right audio, or if it is even decoded/split/read/whatever yet.

Any info on this matter would be great, I want to splice into the connection and place music through a 3.5mm cable.

nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:41 pm

If that thing is connected to the laser, you're hardly going to be able to tap audio from it. What the laser connection outputs is a stream of bits, on and off and on and off. This is read and interpreted by a chip, which in turn output audio. Expecting to get audio from the laser connection is like connecting a speaker to and IDE cable and expect to hear the sound of your MP3 files.
More likely places to look are sound outputs and speakers.
My blog
ASM Retro <- Gameboy Classic Backlight

Being the sadistic bastard I am, I have covered Frog's left eye with a Santa hat.

Last edited by nitro2k01 tomorrow, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam G

Post by Adam G » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:50 pm

It's a car stereo, so it seems slightly complicated, but I think you're right. I'll just tap in at the output in the back. Thanks!

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Not the speaker outputs, right? They've got way too much power for anything that uses 3.5mm connectors...

You need to find the audio connection between the main board and the amplifier.