Need help w/ a small hack

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

devsfan1830
Need help w/ a small hack

Post by devsfan1830 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:10 am

Mods:I KNOW THIS POST EXISTS IN ANOTHER TOPIC, PLEASE REMOVE THE OTHER ONE.

I've been trying to figure out a way to integrate a 360 wireless controller reliever for windows INTO my computer case by rewiring the button and led to new ones embedded in the case( i.e. wiring the button to my case reset button and wiring my power led to the PCB led terminals). So far I've been able to isolate the solder points for the button, but its the LED that's proving to be an issue.

Below is an image of the PCB. I need someones input on how i would solder LED leads to points the size of a pin tip.

I just bought a fine point soldering iron tip, a stand with a magnifying glass and alligator clip hands. I also go 24 AWG wire. I just need to know if anyone has any tips on removing the LED cleanly and soldering on leads to what will be a 3 pin male molex fan connector. Thanks.

Flo

Post by Flo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:06 am

Follow the traces, there might be a better spot to solder to.

But keep in mind that by placing the receiver in a PC case, you're essentially shielding the antenna.

devsfan1830

UPDATE!!!

Post by devsfan1830 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

The deed is done, the mod was a SUCCESS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HadYRO6nniI

Dr. KillGood

Post by Dr. KillGood » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:52 pm

So that is what that damn thing looks like on the inside! So you put it on a 5.25" bay door? Cool.

Also this thing gives me so many problems, it only works in my front USB panel, and half the time when I plug it in it disables my mouse!?

WTF?

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Dr. KillGood wrote:Also this thing gives me so many problems, it only works in my front USB panel, and half the time when I plug it in it disables my mouse!?
Looks like your USB port isn't strong enough to supply the required 5v.