IBM Thinkpad R40 + OS X?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
IBM Thinkpad R40 + OS X?

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:37 pm

Hey guys. I have a decent condiion IBM R40 that I don't use much.

Heres a link to the detailed specs: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/thinkpa ... 33353.html

(Except mine has a ATi Radeon 7200 32mb GPU. I think. I know its a 32mb GPU but I forget if its like a 7800 or a 7200 or something.)

Is there a way I could install MAC OS-X on this? (Cheetah, Puma, Juguar, Panther, Tiger or Leopard)

Doesnt matter which version of OS-X. I'd just like to know if the version thats like most compatible or something will work and if not, I'd like to know what other versions of OS-X will work.

If its not possible to wipe XP off my laptop and do a fresh install of OS-X, would it be possible to run OS-X, while XP runs in the background? (Sort of like Virtual PC except using VPC to emulate OS-X instead of using it to emulate a different version of windows.)

Thanks.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:03 pm

getting OSX to work on a machine its not supposed to be on isn't exactly legal, i don't think. You'd probably do better searching the internet for that.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:17 pm

Are you sure? People talk about running XP on MAC computers before. (Using Bootcamp or whatever. And thats legal).

I dont think it would be illegal. I'm talking about, me actually going out and buying a copy of OS-X. Not downloading it or anything.

Heck, Legally speaking if I buy something, I can do what ever I want with it. (To an extent. Just like how we modify game consoles.)

I dont think its illegal to go out and buy a copy of OS-X and install it on a PC.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:26 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:Are you sure? People talk about running XP on MAC computers before. (Using Bootcamp or whatever. And thats legal).
I dont think it would be illegal.
Yes, Boot Camp is legal. Microsoft allows you to run XP on any x86 based machine. Running OS X on non-Apple hardware, on the other hand, is a violation of Apple's EULA.
I'm talking about, me actually going out and buying a copy of OS-X. Not downloading it or anything.
Doesn't matter.
Heck, Legally speaking if I buy something, I can do what ever I want with it. (To an extent. Just like how we modify game consoles.)
You aren't buying the software. You're buying the privilege to use it. When you break the license agreement, you forfeit the use of the software.
I dont think its illegal to go out and buy a copy of OS-X and install it on a PC.
Technically, it probably isn't. However, since at that point you aren't licensed to use the software they can probably sue you for piracy.

My advice? Buy a real Mac. :P

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:I dont think its illegal to go out and buy a copy of OS-X and install it on a PC.
It's against Apple's Terms of Service to install OSX on non-apple hardware. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. :lol: Google "OSx86" and check hardware compatibility there.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Arent all the old versions of osx completely incompatible with x86 processors?

I would assume you can only use versions produced after Apple switched to Intel processors from the PowerPC platform.

Also I have roughly the same laptop... Are you sure its a 7xxx series radeon? Im pretty sure mine is a little-known mobile part called like "fireGL" or something. Not that its really important.

Yeah I dont really get why you'd want OSX over some good old XP. I guess I could see it if you were using some really old lighter version, but I dont think you would gain much by putting one of the more "intense" newer ones on.

Little research shows that only tiger and leopard support x86 processors. Tiger requires 256mb of ram (512 recommended). Leopard wants at least 512 (1gb recommended) . Compare with 256/512 for XP.

Anyways Im pretty sure the installer wont let you put it on anything that isnt authentic mac hardware, Apple is a jerk like that.
wikipedia wrote: Some users also developed patches and hardware drivers to enable Leopard to run on IBM-compatible PCs. This is a violation of Apple's EULA that explicitly prohibits installing Mac OS X on non Apple-labeled computers, and means that extra steps have to be taken when installing some system updates from Apple's Software Update.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:49 pm

or if you prefer a unix-based OS (just like OSX is based off BSD which is in turn based off unix), then you could give linux a try. there are many flavors out there for linux. personally, I use Ubuntu as it is quite user-friendly. You don't even have to install it to give it a try, all you need to do is download and burn an Ubuntu Live CD and run the OS straight from the CD (though it will be slower when running from a CD than when running a fully installed version)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:04 pm

So, you guys cant help me on this.... Can you?

WOW.

Cnet shows how to run OS-X on a thinkpad.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=d65rdIBG-NA

Seems kind of hard. I'll check out the OSX86 thing.

Problem: The thinkpad does NOT have a DVD drive. What could I do to get around this?

:D

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:22 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote: Problem: The thinkpad does NOT have a DVD drive. What could I do to get around this?
If it can boot off USB, you could use an external DVD drive.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

APHawkes

Post by APHawkes » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:24 pm

1. Apple says you can only install OS X on "Apple-Badged Hardware," so you shouldn't install it on a thinkpad.

2. The only versions that will possibly work would be Tiger (1.4) or Leopard (1.5). There were not x86 versions of earlier versions of OS X.

3. You want to go http://www.osx86project.org/ to find directions. Basically, you have download a hacked ISO (usually by a torrent), burn it, and install from there. Leo4All, Kalyway, and others.

4. The lappy doesn't have a drive? Really?!? Hmm... get an external one maybe? Or perhaps you can put the data from the ISO on a separate partition on the drive and boot from that? Not really sure.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:24 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:So, you guys cant help me on this.... Can you?
Sorry, due to the questionable legality we can't help you with OSX86.

But for the DVD drive, you're probably stuck wit a USB unit, if it can boot from USB. Another option would be to make a laptop drive breakout cable and get a laptop-to-desktop IDE adapter, so you can hook a DVD drive right to the laptop's motherboard.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:41 pm

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... hl=IBM+R40

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... t&p=727825

So it is possible to put OSX 10.4 and 10.5 on your laptop.
Post over on the InsanelyMac forums and they'll help out.

I did this on my HP Pavillion and it was a lot of work because I was quad booting XP/Vista 64/Vista 32/ and OSX Leopard. But it was worth it :)

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 pm

HotDog-Cart wrote:So, you guys cant help me on this.... Can you?

WOW.

Cnet shows how to run OS-X on a thinkpad.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=d65rdIBG-NA

Seems kind of hard. I'll check out the OSX86 thing.

Problem: The thinkpad does NOT have a DVD drive. What could I do to get around this?

:D
considering that Ben prefers things such as Modchips not to be on his forum even though they are technically legal, i'm sure he wouldn't appreciate the facilitation of unlicensed OS hacking.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Basically you have to buy an fisher price pc to use OSX. (though the laptops are nice)

I would lock this thread as OSx86 is illegal.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm

From everything I read about osx86 it seems like the developers recommend that you buy the software if you plan on installing it, even if the version you installed was a tweaked downloaded version.