Dell Death (aka. Help me repair a registry)

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Aguiluz
Dell Death (aka. Help me repair a registry)

Post by Aguiluz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Well, my dad is using his laptop (Windows XP Home, SP2) and it suddenly BSOD'd. We restart it, still BSOD.

Safe mode, BSOD. Last known good config, still BSOD.

Any way to - at least - temporarily repair the registry to get off all our data? :cry:

ImageImage

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:19 pm

i can't help you with fixing your registry, but if you want to get your data off, might I suggest an Ubuntu Live CD? basically its on OS on a CD that should allow you to access your files and recover them safely.

WhatULive4

Post by WhatULive4 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:34 pm

You could always buy one of those portable HD enclosures and put the files on your desktop pc. Question, did you try booting it in safe mode?

I ran into a problem similar to this this week at work. Even after I tried a few things I was unable to repair the corrupted registry.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:47 pm

WhatULive4 wrote:You could always buy one of those portable HD enclosures and put the files on your desktop pc. Question, did you try booting it in safe mode?

I ran into a problem similar to this this week at work. Even after I tried a few things I was unable to repair the corrupted registry.
he got the BSOD in safe mode as well

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Ah Nakkiga, I remember that screen. The only thing that fixed it for me was to take the XP CD and run recovery. I had to write the boot files to a different sector of my hard drive, and that cleared the problem right up. I've been running that laptop for about eight months now, and I haven't had a problem since I used the recovery.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:37 am

mothatrucka wrote:Ah Nakkiga, I remember that screen. The only thing that fixed it for me was to take the XP CD and run recovery. I had to write the boot files to a different sector of my hard drive, and that cleared the problem right up. I've been running that laptop for about eight months now, and I haven't had a problem since I used the recovery.
Worth a shot. :wink:

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:27 pm

grossaffe wrote:i can't help you with fixing your registry, but if you want to get your data off, might I suggest an Ubuntu Live CD? basically its on OS on a CD that should allow you to access your files and recover them safely.
That might work, or he could get a good live CD like SLAX or BartPE Windows Live CD.