Gamecube Portable/DVD Drive Help

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Ashen
Gamecube Portable/DVD Drive Help

Post by Ashen » Fri May 09, 2008 9:16 am

I am currently working on the dissasembly/building of a Gamecube portable unit, the snag I have currently hit is that the dvd drive in the gamecube is HUGE, almost 3" thick... i have scoured the net for any ways that I could think of to eliminate the drive all together (HDD or Flash Card Loading of games) and while there are ways of doing both they are either not practical for this project, cost to much, or are buggy beta/alpha software. so as I can see it I am left with 2 options. I can make the portable a 2 piece unit where the main components of the cube/screen/pad are the main unit and the dvd drive a 2nd unit connected via a cable which I would really prefer not to do OR I can try and replace the gamecube dvd drive with a slimline pc dvd drive. I realize that the gamecube drive is not a standard dvd drive, but from what I can gather it is VERY similar to a standard dvd drive the only difference i can find is that it can read some extra boot code on GCN discs. So the replacement of the drive would require a modchip to bypass the cube looking for the extra code. My question to everyone on the forums is, do you think this is possible? or has anyone heard of this being tried/done before? the connections on the gamecube drive look similar to a standard pc dvd rom drive w/variable speed motor. can anyone confirm this? I found this http://www.hardwarebook.info/GameCube_DVD_Interface but cannot find a pinout for a standard pc dvd rom Any help/ideas are much appreciated. thx in advance

gamax92

Re: Gamecube Portable/DVD Drive Help

Post by gamax92 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:15 pm

You could possibly try a ps2 dvd drive as the pins look the same here.

http://kyorune.com/modding/file.php?art=83&file=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://content.techrepublic.com.com/234 ... nt;leftCol" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:mrgreen:
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

Goldy

Post by Goldy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:11 pm

where on earth have you found a 3 inch thick gamecube disc drive? they are about an inch and a half thick,

EDIT: Oh poo i just realised this is an old thread, with a somewhat silly post bumping it :(

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:10 am

Goldy wrote:where on earth have you found a 3 inch thick gamecube disc drive? they are about an inch and a half thick,

EDIT: Oh poo i just realised this is an old thread, with a somewhat silly post bumping it :(
I Dont understand your post but sorry for bumping this thread. but i would like to know if you could possibly dump in a different drive that is slimmer.
Ps2 disk drive seems right for the project.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC