Building a Robot/Mech Suit: One Step at a time

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
Building a Robot/Mech Suit: One Step at a time

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:49 am

I don't even know where to start with this. I've been interested in Robotics ever since I was a wee little child. I'm really big into the gundam and mech assualt series, as well as any other Mech type game or tv show.

I want to build a mech, I'm sure lots of people here want to build one also, yet havnt had the time, money, or other reasons.

I want to make a mech suit, not some giant mech assualt or gundam mech. I just want it to be simple and small. Yet big enough to wear.

Heck, the right term for this is a " Powered Exoskeleton".

I call my project: Mexoskeleton (Pronounced: Mech-So-Skeleton).
Pretty good name eh? Yea, I know.

I want to start this project, one step at a time. Literally. First I want to start with the limbs and expand.

Also, I forgot to mention. I want it to either be joystick or remote controlled. (So like, When Im in the mech, theres a Joystick in my hand, which when I move it forward, the mech moves forward.)

Heck, even better idea. To cut down on costs, weight, and mobility issues, I could just make it the limbs. No body or torso.
(Meaning, only my Legs, and Arms would have robot exoskeleton on them. My legs because I want them to move, and my arms so I can controll my legs with the joystick.)

That would definatly save on cost, weight, time, mobility issues, and other things.

I want this to run off batteries. No gasoline or other fuels like that, I dont need to be paying cash everytime I want to go somewhere.

Ofcourse there will be a computer inside, to respond to the movements I make with the joystick. (Essentially, the computer will read input from the joystick, and output the readings to a motor or something of the sort. When I move the joystick forward, the computer will see the reading and tell the legs to move forward.)

Seems to be a great idea, yes?

Yet, I need some help, Ofcourse. Or I wouldn't be posting in this section.

Some questions:

What Kind of Battery could I use?

How would I actually start doing this project? (I know how to weld, Wire compnents, Mold, Sandcast, Torch, etc etc.)

How would I make a computer read inputs from a joystick, and output that to a motor type system that would do what the computer tells it to do?

Should I use a motor to make the legs walk? If no, what else could I use?

Has anyone else ever made a mech suit, or anything?

Also, does anyone know a website or forums I can go to, to get some really great help with this?

Thanks.

khaag

Post by khaag » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:06 am

What happened to the Mview? Your super sweet fix-all invention? :? Honestly dude, this project seems way too big for you. Come on... robot legs? You know that that's the stuff that engineers do right? Are you an engineer?

I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but this projects seems way out of reach...
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:29 am

Mview is, well. As you say... On hold. Parents wont let me make it. I have the cash. They think its going to be useless and wont let me even touch it until I find a good reason to make it. (Which they are sorta right, I wouldn't use it for much. Considering I actually just got a laptop from my school to use, at school.)

But please. Don't get off topic.

khaag

Post by khaag » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:44 pm

I wasn't off topic :roll: I was clearly refering to your lack of skill to do this project. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I know you won't be able to do this. You just don't have the means to do it. Why do you think it hasn't been done before? Getting something to "walk" on its own is a huge feat in engineering. Just look at the Honda Robot. Even it has its problems. And if a huge multi-billion dollar company can barely do it, what makes you think that you can?
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Lets put it this way. Do you have the understanding or knowledge that would be required? It took most groups that have worked on making such items thousands of dollars and as khaag mentioned they were engineers.

It would likely be best to look for a simpler project.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

dragon

Post by dragon » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:56 pm

I think its a cool idea hard but cool. Oh and im in to the idea of making an exoskeleton as well. So i say good luck hope you pull it off. :wink:

HBN

Post by HBN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:53 pm

This was done by a guy in Canada. The thing stood like 14 feet tall, and was fully hydraulic (Not to mention a stunning color of black and panic orange). It was VERY impressive.

I'd link you, but I cant find any information on it.

Running it off batteries wont work. Sorry. Not even PERMs, or E-Tek's have enough power for that. Seriously, running a hydraulic pump off a five horse engine is your absolute best bet.

Or, you could run several smaller hydraulic pumps off of PERMs. But PERMs cost a fair penny. And don't expect it to run more than ten minutes per charge...And thats being EXTREMELY optimistic. Which is why I say you should just run a pump off an engine.

I wish you a LOT of luck. Honestly...Your gonna need all you can get. These things aren't easy to make. And making them work is an entirely different battle all together. I'm not trying to sound pessimistic. I just don't want to see you jumping into this major cost, only to find out that not only are you in debt, but the project was far beyond anything you should have ever tried...EVER...I mean...EEVVVEEERRR!

As I said, though. Good luck, ;).
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Tibia
PSN Username:Tibia1013
Steam ID:Mulder101361

Post by Tibia » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 pm

So let me get this right. Your parents won't let you work on a computer, but they'll let you build an exo-suit? I'm having a very hard time buying that.

You sound knowledgeable and interested, but I really think you're biting off a lot here. If it were me, I'd start with a smaller project, like a robotic arm or something. Learn how to build and program that before diving off the deep end. Seriously, you don't seem to have any idea how to make a command on a joystick tell a motor what to do. I really think you won't get anywhere unless you start small and learn more.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
This post brought to you by David Duchovny's glorious nipples.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 pm

I've thought it over. For a sample project, I could make it run off wheels.

That'd be pretty easy. Move the joystick forward, wheels move forward and so do I. Vice Versa also.

Heck, I could dish out $100 for an electric scooter and do this.

Imagine, splitting the electric scooter in half. Put the leading wheel on your leading foot, and the back wheel on your other foot. Now take the throttle and controlls off the handle bars from the scooter, and make a controller. The controller could control the steering, but thats too hard. So, The controller would consist of: Throttle, Brake. Now how do I turn? Well, I could make it so where ever the leading foot points, the back wheel follows. So, if I point my leading foot left, I'll move left when using the throttle. (Its quite easy to do that, as on any electric scooter the leading wheel its controlled by turning the handle bar, which turns the wheels axis. So, just imagine getting rid of the handle, and using your foot as the handle. So your foot would turn the wheels axis.

Sound like a good idea? It is infact, easier than the leg movement idea.

The only problem is that, theres no way I could hold my balance with just one wheel on each foot. So, I would have to put another wheel on each foot. So, in total there would be 4 wheels instead of 2.

Now, I wouldn't have to power the other wheel that sits on my leading foot. As the wheel infront of that, would be powered, thus causing the other 3 wheels to move.

HBN

Post by HBN » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:35 am

Sadly, its not that simple. Take it from me who has had a few years of robotic programing experience.

You need to know values, integers, Binary, Hexal, and Octal codings. Some systems even require a form of BASIC code.

If you could hook a joystick so a power wheel and push forward and have it work, do you think robotic programmers would have a job?
Please keep an eye on my HBN64 progress.
HBN-Style Anti-Noise Headphones.

Moderatio Est Figmentum.
Long live the Queen of Bondo!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:35 am

If you have your mind set on robotics, check this out. Parallax sells a nice verity of robots for educational purposes, they have BASIC-stamps that as HBN mentioned are programmed in BASIC. And of course they have the all popular Propeller.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 am

HBN wrote:Sadly, its not that simple. Take it from me who has had a few years of robotic programing experience.

You need to know values, integers, Binary, Hexal, and Octal codings. Some systems even require a form of BASIC code.

If you could hook a joystick so a power wheel and push forward and have it work, do you think robotic programmers would have a job?
HBN: Its simpler than you think. The scooter already has a built in controller, thats inside the handle. I could just take out that "controller" and make a new case for it.

Electric scooters are already built with a throttle and a brake. Thus meaning, the only work I would have to do is take off the handle bar, and make a more appropriate handle/case for the controlls.

Hows that hard?

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:31 am

Only one wheel on the scooter is powered by the motor though. :?

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 pm

I know that underclocked. Read my 2nd post. It explains what I am going to do.

Yet, to spare you reading, here.

"Now, I wouldn't have to power the other wheel that sits on my leading foot. As the wheel infront of that, would be powered, thus causing the other 3 wheels to move."

underclocked

Post by underclocked » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Oh, sorry about that. Didn't see that. it sounds like a good idea, if built properly.