Capacitor Charging Question

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Capacitor Charging Question

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm attempting a coilgun. I have the coil nicely wound. I'm using 1 D (after 4 caused a transistor to start to smoke) to charge about 15 capacitors (all from cameras, mostly all 330V, some are unlabeled and I'm assuming are around 330V.)

I have many charging circuits from disposable cameras. None charge to capacitors reliably, if at all.

Is 15 just too many, or should it not matter how many are in parallel?

I'm lost as to what the problem is.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:34 pm

Hey, i was the one who told you to build one in youre ''what to do'' thread. :) The reason that you are having trouble is that the circuit is draining WAY too much power. By the time it gets to the last one, the power source cant handle it. Luckily, there is no reason to use 15. In fact, having that many will actually make the coil less efficient. My coil with 3 caps is better than my 7 cap one! Tell me if you still need help.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:04 pm

The more farads the merrier. I'm setting up a simple 555 timer, so it can be tuned to shut off when the projectile is at mid-coil.

I have so many, I guess I can put some chargers in parallel, right? :D

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:39 pm

As long as each has its own power supply, i dont see why not!

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:17 pm

I tried it again, with six, four, two and then one capacitor. Still nothing. No charge is getting to the capacitors with any of the many circuits I have (one was untouched until today). The battery has a voltage, the capacitors are able to spark, and everything is hooked up right as far as I know, but still they refuse to charge. How should I proceed?

(Hoping to drop by a photo outlet one of these days and pick up some more disposable cameras)

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Kurt, i am kinda freaked out you say that. I have 5 or 6 chargers. Yesterday i was building a stun glove, and to my surprise, it would not charge! I tried all my chargers, and several capacitors, same result..weird...I too will get some fresh ones. Maybe ''THE MAN'' can kill them by remote control. Or maybe...They DO work, but are controlling our minds so we THINK they are broken! :paranoid: (Runs for tinfoil cap)

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:22 pm

Well, I had 1 D connected to the battery ports via Alligator clips, the capacitor soldered back into its rightful place, the switch on, and no coil connected (shouldn't make a difference for charging, right?)

Tuesday I'll load up on crap (gotta get some whiteboard markers and possibly some food items to make yummy food with, as well as apply for yet another job that probably doesn't want me.) I'll try hooking caps up to a completely unmodified circuit.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 am

The battery isnt like... backwards?

The circuits arent all fried?

The circuits arent all fried because you tested both ways to connect the battery?

etc.

Just get some new cameras

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Felino

Post by Felino » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 am

Those camera charger circuits are very touchy.

I made my own, better version, i forget what i did now. The output is never 330 though, more like 280.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Kurt_
Portablizer

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:20 pm

I think Felino should get a senior member title, you've been here forever haven't you?

Felino

Post by Felino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 am

Not forever, but a while.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.