Suggestions for Bass Guitar Modifications

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Motoman
Suggestions for Bass Guitar Modifications

Post by Motoman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey guys, its been a while. Well recently I've taken up an astounding interest in modifying my bass guitar (crappy Ibanez GSR 200). So far I'm ebaying some new pickups and I've already installed a kill switch (kill switch on a bass, AWESOME, and completely and utterly useless I know :P ). However, I'm itching for some more modifications I could do but can't seem to come up with any new techniques/ideas. Any suggestions?

EDIT:
Some possible ideas:
New bridge (tremolo maybe?)
A bit on the extreme but hey, KP-Mini KAOSS Pad embedded in the bass?

"Living After Midnight"

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Pre-amp?

Whammy bar?

Small effects pedal + Hollowed out space in bass body = :?:

Throw the body down the stairs into a chair several times to old-ify it (there's a video of this on youtube)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Make a talk box, be Issac Hayes and Peter Frampton simultaneously. :P

Motoman

Post by Motoman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:01 pm

Ok, the talk box is a resounding YES as its quite simple to construct and incredibly..well...AWESOME. A bass tremolo bridge will run me around $120 courtesy of hip shot bass whammy bridges so thats probably a no....hmmmm LED's in the pick up cavity is a possibility, but thats purely asethetic. I like the idea of hollowing out a cavity for effects implementation but that ties in with my Korg KAOSS idea...hmmm...if anything i'll photo documentate any progress which should be fun.
Thanks for the suggestions, feel free to add if you have more. :)

"Living After Midnight"

Motoman

Post by Motoman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 pm

With the LED in the pickup cavity idea, what mcd LED would you suggest? I'd like it to be quite bright but I need to know whether around 5000 mcd would suffice or should I shoot for more around 10,000 mcd?

"Living After Midnight"