Custom gaming keyboard and mouse for PS3

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

myersn024
Custom gaming keyboard and mouse for PS3

Post by myersn024 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:04 pm

As some of you are probably aware, the PS3 is capable of supporting a keyboard and mouse for gameplay, but not all games utilize it. I've been thinking about a way to hack a sixaxis controller into a custom gaming keyboard and mouse, but I'm having some trouble figuring out the best way to tackle the mouse aspect.

As far as I'm aware, the mouse movement will either have to be translated into something the the controller will be able to understand.....or I'll have to come up with something on my own. I've contemplated using a joystick that you could grip like the ones that you use in flight simulators, but I don't particularly like that idea. I already have in my mind how I'd like for the buttons to be configured, and building in a jumper set would make them totally customizable for use with different games. I just can't figure out what to do about the mouse part.

Anyway, nothing I've thought of yet seems like it would be worth the effort. I know that the XFPS for the PS3 is coming out soon, but I really don't want to spend $100 for a converter. Let's put our heads together on this one and come up with something cool.