I want to modify an AV switch to use IR

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Nucklez
I want to modify an AV switch to use IR

Post by Nucklez » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:33 am

I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this. I've searched the forums, and really couldn't find anyone doing anything with IR receivers. I have an automatic AV switch, it has 4 inputs, and 1 output. It is supposed to automatically tell which device is turned on, and switch to that device. Well, it doesn't automatically work very well. I'm wondering if it would be possible to install an IR receiver on it, and use that to do the switching. I have an awesome Universal Remote that I can program practically whatever I want (Logitech Harmony 670). You guys think it would be easy to salvage the IR receiver and decoder out of an old vcr or something, or is there something else I could buy or use? This thing will only control a few of my older consoles and a VCR. Everything is svideo or composite.

*Edit*
Alright, I think I'm on to something here. If I can modify this circuit http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/how- ... -computer/ I can possibly take this on. I'll keep you guys posted, after I make a stop at my "Favorite" electronics store on my way home.

That circuit is using the serial/usb port and the WinLIRC software for the decoding. I'll keep looking for an actual decoding chip.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:18 am

could be done with a microcontroller.

google has lots of results.

This isnt as easy as just soldering an IR LED to something. Theres stuff like modulation going on.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 am

Man, I'm seeing that this isn't as easy as I first thought. Most people are using microcontrollers to do this. I had another project I wanted to work on a long time ago that used microcontrollers, but I never followed through with it.