Build my own subwoofer amp or buy one?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Nucklez
Build my own subwoofer amp or buy one?

Post by Nucklez » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:22 pm

Hey guys, I have a question for ya'. My old Panasonic head unit (surround sound for home theatre) kicked the bucket. I may be getting an new Onkyo receiver pretty soon, and I'm wondering what I should do about the sub. The Panasonic had an amp for the Sub, the Onkyos have pre outs for a powerered sub. I would like to keep my current sub, but it isn't powered. Do any of you have any experience, or details about building my own external amp? Or, any cheap external amps for a sub only? Thanks for your help!

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Welcome back, nucklez, long time no postage! :P

As for the question, I don't know anything about it, but if memory serves, a couple people here made custom amps as projects. Check the News section, if there are any completed build logs, they'd be in there.

CTFan

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Thanks man, I haven't been breaking too many game consoles lately. Two kids make things a bit busy around the house now. I'll search the News forum for amps, this forum didn't turn anything up.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:42 pm

I just wanted to follow up with what I did. The Onkyo has an option to Bi-Amp the front speakers. It does this by using the amp for the two back 7.1 speakers (i'm only using 5.1 for now) as a subwoofer out, and the front speakers amp for high end frequencies. I connected the subwoofer to the right subwoofer out, and hooked the two front speakers up like normal. I was suprised at how well this actually sounds. I'm sure it isn't as good as a powered amp, but wow!