audio adapter help needed

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator: Moderators

myersn024

audio adapter help needed

Post by myersn024 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:53 pm

I'm wanting to hook my guitar up to my iMac and record some stuff using Garageband, but I need a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter. Can I just wire up an adapter that sends the mono from the guitar to both the left and right channels of the stereo plug? Is it really that simple, or is there more involved?

bicostp
Steam ID: bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Just connect ground to ground, and the mono plug's signal wire to both the left and right parts of the stereo jack.

Make sure your guitar's output isn't too much for the line in port to handle first.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:06 pm

If its just a normal guitar, and you arent using an amp, then theres no point hooking it up to the line-in jack because the signal is way to weak, and you will hear very faint noises at best.

If that is the case, then hook it up to the microphone jack, which is mono anyways, and you are done.

If you have an amp, or some kind of effects unit with an amp, it should output a "headphone" signal, which is the stereo, line-level signal that you should be putting in your laptop.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"