(Choosing a processor) When you can't decide...

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables
(Choosing a processor) When you can't decide...

Post by XPCportables » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:13 pm

make someone else decide for you.

Hello all, it's a great day to be alive! But alas, I am met with a decision that I just can't seem to make. Which processor!

I will soon start building a new computer. Desired setup:
Core2 Duo of some sort
2gb DDR2 800 ram
2x 250GB sata HDD RAID 0 array
Nvidia SLI 680i chipset mobo of some sort.
600W PSU 2x 12v Rails.
Antec 900 case
Nvidia 8800gt 512mb

I pretty much know exactly which of each thing I will be getting except for the processor. Let me explain. I am on a ridiculously tight budget for this comp. I really want a C2D E6550 conroe for it's 4M L2 cache and 1066MHz FSB, but if I get it, there is no chance for me getting my graphics card for another two months at least. If I get an E4500 Allendale, I can shorten that time considerably. I have heard rumors of Allendales having better overclocking potential, but I know that they only have 2M L2 cache and run at 800Mhz FSB.
I just want some input on which would be better from the standpoint of a person who can have the cheaper one now, or the fancier one later. I am going to be using it mostly for gaming, but there will definitely be much video encoding and file compressing/decompressing that will be done as well. I just need to know if the performance difference will be noticeable enough for me to regret going for the Allendale instead of the Conroe.
As always, Thanks a lot!

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:08 am

CPU's are expensive and it will be kind of hard to find one for your computer a few years down the road when you want to upgrade since the sockets change for them so much. i dont think you should skip on the processor, if you are able to wait a couple months for the graphics card i suggest doing that.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:56 pm

wait for new 45nm halfnium-gate chips! coming to a store near you, soon. up to 4 cores. :D

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"