VIRUS/SPYWARE HELP

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

MaDnEsS
Portablizer
VIRUS/SPYWARE HELP

Post by MaDnEsS » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:22 am

alright i was stupid and went against my better judgement of running an .exe from a DL and now im in pop up HELL the worst part is Norton isn't detecting it, im goning to try running AVG but i doubt it will do anything. Anybody have any suggestions.

Bibin

Post by Bibin » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:53 pm

AVG, HiJackThis, and SpyBot S&D are your gods.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:54 pm

What are the pop ups (to what sites)? I got a virus (same way, too) that opened pop ups to the site for a system doctor program. I don't remember what its called, but its super hard to get rid of. I some how got rid of it after a month or two (or at least I think I did, haven't had the pop ups for a few months).

Make sure you run the virus scans in safe mode, after you've deleted your browser's cache. Even better, do a system restore if you have one from before the virus.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Bibin wrote:AVG, HiJackThis, and SpyBot S&D are your gods.
Agreed. Also add in SmitRem, CCleaner, msconfig, Ad-Aware 2007, and of course upx to cram as much as possible into a cheap USB drive. 8)

Install these tools, disable system restore, and reboot into safe mode to do the cleaning.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:50 pm

Check registry

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
and

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or msconfig alternatively.

If you find any key/value that looks suspicious, delete the exe from the given location and delete the key. Most viruses are programmed by morons that don't know their way around the kernel anyways, so you'll probably be able to kill it.