Sticky when dry glue?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Sticky when dry glue?

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:53 pm

I want some of that glue that remains extra sticky but not messy after it dries. The kind that keeps the GBO faceplate on. You know, the stuff that keep almost every LCD firmly attached to the front plate of the case it's in?

Any clue what it's called, and where I can get me some? :)
Hey, sup?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Rubber cement is pretty close, and you can get that anywhere.

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Rubber cement isn't tacky when its dry tho. He is looking for some kind of liquid tape or something... Chewing gum would work lol :lol:

If you are looking for something to attach an LCD to a front plate then just use Hot Glue. That is how I attach my LCDs to the wooden cases.
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Sticky foam pads. They are always sticky. You can buy them from newsagents or stationery suppliers or stores. I used them on my home-made buttons.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Sticky tape seems like the best suggestions so far. But I'm looking for something that would rip less when taken off. And possibly less sticky.
Hey, sup?

Felino

Post by Felino » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:16 am

I hate hot glue really, it has no strength, but is good for holding wires together ie, in cases.

We used to have this stuff at shool, in art, it set sorta like chewing gum, and you made layers of it.

Its name escapes me.
:roll:
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:43 am

Blu-Tac?

I remember Avery or 3M used to make a glue stick with Post-It type glue, so when it dried you could use whatever you glued as a sticky note. They might still make it...

Murdok09

Post by Murdok09 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:51 am

^^I am pretty sure they still make it. You could contact HP or someone and ask them. I think they use some pressurized glue spray type of deal that doesn't actually stay sticky on top, but when you touch it you touch a lower layer that is still sticky (if that makes sense).

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:05 pm

Ive seen what is basically "double-sided-heavy-duty-scotch-tape". it came on rolls like scotch tape does. Probably would work pretty ok.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Double sided sticky tape is fine if the surface is completely flat, no bumps - if they are, BluTac or sticky foam pads work really well and have good adhesion. I used four tiny pieces of sticky foam pads to secure my Psone screen in place, when I had to remove it, I had to pry/pull it off, it didn't want to release!