I need to alter the data on a Gameboy game

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Super Mulletman
I need to alter the data on a Gameboy game

Post by Super Mulletman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:53 pm

The reason I came back to these forums was because my old file on Dragon Warrior Monsters got deleted, and I went through a whole internet backwards-time-spiral and ended up here, but I think now I might know why. That save file had hundreds of hours put into it, and I've been trying to get the most powerful character for about 7 years now (game came out early 2000, I believe). And now my effort is for nothing.

Simply put, does anyone know how I can delve into the Gameboy programming and alter the saved data on my game cart? All I need is a program or to learn how to write a program that will allow me to go in to the saved game data and change it.

Does anyone have anything or know anyone who could help me?

Mario

Post by Mario » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:38 pm

Well, if you want to get REALLY complicated, you could download the ROM for that game, get a hex editor, change the data, and burn it to a ngb cart.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:22 pm

Would a Gameshark work?

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 pm

Gameshark it.

Get some hex codes on the internet for your GS, load them on, cheat.

Boring, but effective. May take forever if you just want to get back to where you were though...

- Juice 8)

NeoGoldenBoy

Post by NeoGoldenBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi, I'm back (to the forums...).

I'm sorry that I will not apport an answer to this topic (since I don't have it).

I'm writing here because I have a similar question...

AFAIK it's not possible to write data on official GBA cartrides is that true or is there a way to override the data on them?

I'm asking since I have a japanese only game (Boktai 3) and some people are working on a translation patch for it, but I want to use it on the original game instead of an illegal rom or a flash cartridge, is it possible?

Thanks in advance and sorry to use this topic for my question but the original one is very similar so I decided to post here.
Ň£ơĢ°łÃ°ęņßõ¥
I'm all alone, dealing with my broken heart. Why I have feelings if they feel so bad. All seems so dark, will I ever see light?

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:11 am

Shouldn't be hard to make a ram dumper/writer for gameboy carts (probably programs/schematics out there)
As far as NeoGoldenBoy's question, you'd have to replace the ROM with a writable format to do that

NeoGoldenBoy

Post by NeoGoldenBoy » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:04 pm

gannon wrote:Shouldn't be hard to make a ram dumper/writer for gameboy carts (probably programs/schematics out there)
As far as NeoGoldenBoy's question, you'd have to replace the ROM with a writable format to do that
Thanks Gannon for the answer!

Does anyone here know what kind of chip should I search for?
Ň£ơĢ°łÃ°ęņßõ¥
I'm all alone, dealing with my broken heart. Why I have feelings if they feel so bad. All seems so dark, will I ever see light?