Extra CD Drive in Windows

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Ari
Extra CD Drive in Windows

Post by Ari » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:41 pm

Ah, yet another reason to love that fantastical OS that resides on about 95% of the world's computers! Windows randomly decided that I have 2 CD drives in my computer, while I in fact only have one. I thought it might go away when I rebooted, but it didn't. And when I right clicked it and went to properties->hardware, it only listed my hard drive, floppy drive, and the one CD drive I have. And when I boot up Suse (the Linux distro I'm currently using), it doesn't say it's there. Though if it did, it would be a simple matter of editing /etc/fstab... (it's sad that I'm better at troubleshooting Linux problems than windows problems).

This is really bugging me... I know it's not really a big issue, but does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I'm using XP SP2 if that matters. And thanks in advance for any help!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 pm

I would suggest going into the Computer Manager, go to Disk Management, and right click on the drive you want to go away, and right click on it and select Properties When you're in the properties window, at the bottom set the Device Usage to "disabled".
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Ari

Post by Ari » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:11 pm

I went into disk management, but there's no disk listed for it. The only disks listed are for my hard drive, my floppy drive and the CD drive that's actually in my computer. And if I disable that one, it just gets rid of my actual CD partition. It looks like it's not associated with any physical disk drives, so I can't disable one to remove it. Weird...

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Do you have Daemon tools or Alcohol 52%/120% installed?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:23 pm

vb_master wrote:Do you have Daemon tools or Alcohol 52%/120% installed?
I have Daemon Tools installed and it shows up under disk management, so it's not that. Don't know about Alcohol though.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Ari

Post by Ari » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:24 am

Nope, I don't have either of those installed.
Optomists say that the glass is half full.
Pessimist say that it's half empty.
Engineers say that it's twice as big as it needs to be.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:45 pm

Sparkfist wrote:
vb_master wrote:Do you have Daemon tools or Alcohol 52%/120% installed?
I have Daemon Tools installed and it shows up under disk management, so it's not that. Don't know about Alcohol though.
Alcohol 120% Does that sometimes when you load up a iso into I forget what screen ( I use Nero now ) So that would be my best bet if any.