Replacing electrolytic with ceramic capacitors?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

hcmtnbiker
Replacing electrolytic with ceramic capacitors?

Post by hcmtnbiker » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:49 pm

I was wondering if there's any special stuff i should concider besides the piezoelectric effect if I wanted to swap out electrolytic capacitors for ceramic ones....

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:01 pm

well, I don't really no what difference it makes, but electrolyctic capacitors have polarity while ceramic don't. I'm not really concerned with the chemistry of this stuff when i'm building, but maybe someday it'll bite me. stay tuned as i might go get my 'for dummies' book.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:25 pm

Electorlytic capacitors have both a capacity and an inducitvity because they consist of rolled up plastic with metal on top (rolled up metal =inductor) so it's not the same. It depends on what you are going to use the capacitors for but mostly you can't replace them.

hcmtnbiker

Post by hcmtnbiker » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:32 pm

I was thinking of swaping them out in a NOAC circuit, and there's no more then 5 volts anywhere on the board so i figured it would be possible. Most of the caps from what i can tell are for smoothing out the current so i think it should work, tell me how i'm wrong.

codeman

Post by codeman » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:17 pm

When it comes to behaving like an ideal capacitor, an electrolytic is pretty much the worst. The only reason they're so popular is because they're really cheap, and they can get very high capacitances per unit area when compared to other capacitor types.

Basically all i'm saying is that going from electrolytic to ceramic should be fine as long as you make sure the values are the same and the voltage breakdown of the ceramic is sufficient. You only really run into problems when going the other way around, replacing a ceramic cap with an electrolytic one can cause problems.
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

ArtemisGoldfish

Post by ArtemisGoldfish » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 pm

If the electrolytic caps are of a very, very small capacitance (Like...low uF to high nF) then you can go ahead and replace them. If they're blue, you might not want to replace them, since as far as I can remember, blue are decoupling caps.
Logan Whitehurst, Musician Supreme
R.I.P. (Deceased Dec 3, 2006)
You are missed.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:35 pm

if anything you'd be better off with ceramic than electrolytic for decoupling.

like codeman said, electrolytics have pretty high ESR which slows down their response time.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"