help me save my computer

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

dudex77
help me save my computer

Post by dudex77 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:09 am

ok well when my dad set up windows xp he wasnt really paying much attention to the computer so now i cant play games or listen to music which i can deal with. what he also did is made 3 drives H which has all the XP stuff on it but only has 4gb. C which i dont know what it has on it but it has 10gb on it. and D which has like a hundred something GB on it which i just use to put music for my ipod and such in. well now H is getting copulate up and is too full to i cant download itunes or anything because i have like negative amount of memory. so mu question is how do i fix this? i recall my dad once moving memory from one drive to another but neither of us could figure out how to do that again. does anyone know what im talking about?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:11 am

Right-click "My Computer" > click "Manage" > Under "Storage", select "Disk Management". That should be it, from there you can change the partitions (I deciphered that you have one drive divided into a few partitions). Just be careful, you'll most likely lose information if you change any of the partitions. I would suggest that you backup all your music and important stuff to your ipod or an external drive and just reinstall windows, making only one partition. Then see if games work before putting your backed up stuff back on, so that if games don't work, you can reinstall windows again and see if it works.

Disclaimer: Its not my fault if you lose your info by doing what I said. :mrgreen:

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:27 pm

crap thanks i just changed one to a main partition and now my computer isnt female of the dog species about lack of space thanks a load

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:34 pm

never mind i lied. if i just delete partition D will all the memory from it end up being evenly distributed between H and C?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:16 pm

No, you'll have a "D:" sized chunk of empty space in the middle of the drive.

As far as I know, no Windows volumes are dynamic. The easiest thing to do is back everything up and reinstall Windows, making sure you make the entire disk one big volume.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:50 pm

bicostp wrote:No, you'll have a "D:" sized chunk of empty space in the middle of the drive.

As far as I know, no Windows volumes are dynamic. The easiest thing to do is back everything up and reinstall Windows, making sure you make the entire disk one big volume.
yeah thats what i figured but i just didnt want admit it so i suppose ill start backing up stuff now and tomm reinstall windows. would i have to delete the partitions now or would they automatically delete themselves if i reinstall windows? srry im asking so many dumbass questions but i have no experience installing operating systems. :lol:

vskid

Post by vskid » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:08 pm

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:01 am

ok i re setup windows but i still dont have sound or gaming probably due to me using my dads windows boot disc that came with his laptop. i deleted the partitions but the were still their but whatever i cant be bothered at the moment. im gonna go download norton before i kill my computer with viruses
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Avast! is free virus protection.

Insert_Name_Here

Post by Insert_Name_Here » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:22 pm

vskid wrote:Avast! is free virus protection.
Even better is AVG, or so I hear. It seems to work well.
SNESp- Halfway broken : /

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:51 pm

bicostp wrote:No, you'll have a "D:" sized chunk of empty space in the middle of the drive.

Partition Magic Pro 8.

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:14 pm

Insert_Name_Here wrote:
vskid wrote:Avast! is free virus protection.
Even better is AVG, or so I hear. It seems to work well.
I use both, so it doesn't matter to me. :P

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:17 am

vb_master wrote:

Partition Magic Pro 8.
ok i really need a link to this. things are really screwing up for me now. does anybody know where i can download this or find a free one that does the same thing?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

loup

Post by loup » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:18 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QtParted

this is the best free solution that I know of, however, I think investing in a copy of partition magic is the best way to go. You should be able to find a copy of partition magic on ebay for less than $20
From the OLD ozforces forums
- Offenders will be bashed. Repeat Offenders will be repeatedly bashed.

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:17 pm

yah but thats for linux :( does anyone have a link where i can find a demo of partition magic? if not i dont know you cant really get things shipped to spain so ebay sucks for me