AAARGHOMGWTF?!! Computer Problems x 1000000

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 am

Well seeing as you can get the Pro version from the Basic version... :lol:

khaag

Post by khaag » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Gump-in-space wrote:I use the non-pro version of Limewire and don't have any problems... should I look for an alternative?
Ares is a good program. I've used it for a few years now and have never had a problem. You just have to be careful when downloading P2P.
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:53 pm

Anyway, anyone care to give me detailed instructions on formatting my HD? Do I have to format them both? Also, how do I run the computer off of the XP CD once it's made? Oh one more thing, what kind of file do I put on the CD itself? If it's just an ISO file do I just drag it onto the CD?
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:18 am

WARNING: Back up all the files you can onto removable storage (like CDs) BEFORE you do anything!

An ISO file is a complete "image" of the disc; it contains all the files and formatting needed to get a bootable CD or DVD.

You need to use a CD burning program to make a working disc out of it. (If you just drag the file onto the disc, it's no different than any other file on a CD.) If your burner came with something like Sonic or Nero, use that. If you don't have either of those programs, download the <a href="http://deepburner.com/?r=download">free version of DeepBurner</a>.

When you boot off the XP install disc, it will ask you where to install XP. If you select the current partition and press "D", it will bring up another screen asking you if you're sure you want to delete it. Press "L" at this point and the partition is off to tech oblivion. Repeat for any other partitions that may be there, provided you backed up the stuff on them.

I suggest the following partition setup for your 100 gig hard drive:

C: 20 gigs (Install Windows here)
D: 80 gigs (Stuff goes here)

Make sure you save your files onto D whenever possible; I don't think the ownership stuff is as picky outside the "Documents and Settings" directory.

Now, for getting at your stuff, try a Linux live CD. Make sure it lets you copy files from NTFS drives. Put stuff onto another hard drive or a USB drive, then go back to XP and copy that stuff onto another medium, to make room for more stuff. Repeat until you get at least the important stuff all copied.

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 pm

Is it possible to use the image when it's mounted on a virtual drive with alcohol 120%? Like I said, my CD drive is broken (actually I think it's just knocked out of place as it sometimes works when you push it in past where it closes) and I'd rather not replace it myself because I'm sure they'll catch that if they don't catch the mass of completely legal files on my computer. The computer is still under warranty so they should fix the drive for free, but my main problem is fixing my computer so no unethical/and or warranty voiding actions are seen on my computer. I will however remember to look here if they won't replace my whole computer.
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:24 pm

Yes, but you have to boot from the disc to install Windows...

(Loading it as a CD lets you do stuff like add the recovery console.)

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 pm

How do i make the computer boot off of the CD? Is the process for doing that different for every computer (thus making it impossible for anyone but the owner's manual [which I may have lost :oops:] to tell me how to do so)?

bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 pm

You insert the disc and restart the computer. It will say "Press any key to boot from CD...". Press the space bar (or some other key) at this point and it will give you a text installation screen. (No mouse, everything's keyboard driven at this point.)

If it boots from the hard drive, restart the computer and open the setup utility by pressing a key while the manufacturer's logo is on the screen. (It will tell you what key to press.) Change the boot priority to Floppy -> CD -> Hard drive, so any removable media can be booted from easily.

Your machine might have a hotkey that brings upp a menu which lets you choose what to boot from. Try that; it will tell you what button to press at the splash screen when you turn on the computer. (It's F12 on the Dell OptiPlex GX620s at my college.)