I need help identifying an ATX power supply.

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Nucklez
I need help identifying an ATX power supply.

Post by Nucklez » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:56 pm

I have an older P4 computer that has an odd power supply connection. It is one of the socket 423 pentium 4 CPU motherboards. The power supply has a 20 pin motherboard plug along with a 16 pin CPU plug. Normal power supplys only have a 4 or 8 pin plug, and I don't know what to search for. I believe the PSU has gone bad but I don't know what to call this PSU when I google it.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:59 pm

when you say normal do you mean "really old?"

i think you are just describing a 'normal' (to me) ATX power supply?

see if you can identify it on this list:
http://pinouts.ru/cgi-bin/view_filt.cgi ... x&lang=eng

(edit.. no. wait. now i think i see what you mean... i dunno... sorry i guess my post is useless now)

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:04 pm

No, none of those match the plug. The CPU is actually a 1.9Ghz Willimonte P4. Socket 423. It has an older 20 pin ATX plug, along with a 16 pin CPU plug. It requires both of those to work. It also takes expensive a$$ed ECC memory.

Actually, it is a Dell Optiplex GX400. hmmm

I'd rather not build a whole new computer, but if I end up having to buy a PSU from Dell it may be worth my time to start over.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:14 pm

I'm thinking I'm going to have to give this computer up. Newegg can't find one, nor can Dell offer anything except a 250 watt PSU. I need way more than that. Oh well, such is life. Thanks for your help timmeh87.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 am

yeah. n/p. the problem with dell supplies is they switched the pinout around so putting a normal one into a dell board or vice-versa usually fries the board, the psu, or both. (stopped doing this on new p4 systems)

yay for dell -_-

(btw, now that i know its a dell, i think i found it:

http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_dimension_psu_pinout.shtml

you still need a dell psu to replace it with. this is why i tell people not to buy dells)

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:43 am

if you are electrically savvy. figure out what the voltages are and make your own adapter for a new ps. just use wire caps to hook up to the old wire harness. most of the dell power supplies are just the same as normal ones just that they threw on a different jack on to drive everyone crazy.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:56 am

what he says is true. just be careful, and make sure the current ratings on the -5 and -12 lines are at least as much as they were before.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:12 pm

Mwahahaha! Thanks even MORE!!!!!! Speaking of "Electrical Savy." Uhmmm, I have a degree in Electronics Engineering! ;) That schematic is exactly what I need, and I do have a few spare 450 Watt PSU's laying around. Thanks thanks thanks!!!!!

I'll compare the 24 pin schematic to a normal one so I don't fry the motherboard that I think is good. Actually, there is still a pretty good chance that my motherboard is the actual problem. I'll test all those leads with a multimeter. As much as I would love a new computer I really don't have the cash. I bought this computer a long time ago for very cheap. I normally don't buy any brand name computer, and this is the exact reason why!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:03 pm

timmeh87 wrote:yeah. n/p. the problem with dell supplies is they switched the pinout around so putting a normal one into a dell board or vice-versa usually fries the board, the psu, or both. (stopped doing this on new p4 systems)

yay for dell -_-
I found that out the hard way, stupid Dell. :evil:

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:36 am

Well, do you guys know any tricks to getting the wires out of the plugs? I messed up one of the plugs by just forcing the wires out. I have two of these power supplies that are bad, so I get a 2nd chance. I tried a tiny screwdriver to attempt to press on the little tiny clips inside of the plug to release the wires, but I cann't get the wires to move without damaging the wire or the plug itself.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 am

why not just cut the wires off a few inches from the connector, and solder them to the new wires.

cut them off at different lengths maybe, so they don't all have a joint in the same place. saves on space and helps isolate the conductor.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:27 am

Ok, I suppose I can do that. :) A little electrical tape, and some butt connectors and my old a$$ed computer will be up and running again in no time. I am kind of starting to miss it actually.