DS USB Charger

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune
DS USB Charger

Post by Jongamer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Ok I just Made My own DS USB Charger, but When I plug it In, the Chargeing light flashes on the DS, it doesnt Just stay on like the Regular Wall outlets do. I Just use a Regular USB Cable that Came with my MP3 player for the USB end of the Cord and a DS Car Charger to fit the DS.
Is it not a constant Sorce of Electricity, does usb only send out pulses of Electricity or what? can somone please Tell me whats wrong or if its just normal?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:47 pm

USB ports put out 5 volts of continuous power that doesn't pulse.

Are you sure you got the polarity right? (You didn't switch positive and negative)

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:58 pm

bicostp wrote:USB ports put out 5 volts of continuous power that doesn't pulse.

Are you sure you got the polarity right? (You didn't switch positive and negative)
Nope thats not the Problem, I think its just fine. But I'll Test It tonight to see how long it takes to fully charge the DS, Right Now I'm letting my DS Battery die so I can test it.

But from other sources online, a USB charger you make yourself charges the DS in 3 hours.

Lol the first time I did get the Polarities wrong but I quickly knew it was wrong because the DS Speakers gave a loud Screeching noice.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:14 pm

perhaps it draws too much current. usb ports arent exactly high-powered.

the specification for usb is 500mA. A completely dead DS may initially draw more than that.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 pm

timmeh87 wrote:perhaps it draws too much current. usb ports arent exactly high-powered.

the specification for usb is 500mA. A completely dead DS may initially draw more than that.
Well I'll post back when I'm done testing, But If it takes to long to charge, what would you suggest I use to Draw more Power, if that is possible. I mean because there are tons of 3rd party Manufacture companies who make GBA SP and DS USB chargers and they work as far as I know because I have never heard anything bad about them.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Welp that was quick, well..... It faild, the Light only flashed a couple times and stopped, and I kept plugging and unplgging it for like 10 mins, then I turned the DS and there was no charge. Can someone please tell me what Im Doing wrong. And just To say all I did was chop up two cords and Put them Togethor matching the Colors, do I Need anything else to get this to work?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:24 am

well if you exceed the current limitations, windows will usually shut off the power going to your usb port to protect it. usually it also informs you of this in your system tray...

try a different computer. try putting a resistor in series with the + wire (i suggest like 2-5 ohms to start)

also read here. someone had a similar problem with a similar cause
http://google.hackaday.com/2005/01/18/n ... wer-cable/

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:20 am

timmeh87 wrote:well if you exceed the current limitations, windows will usually shut off the power going to your usb port to protect it. usually it also informs you of this in your system tray...

try a different computer. try putting a resistor in series with the + wire (i suggest like 2-5 ohms to start)

also read here. someone had a similar problem with a similar cause
http://google.hackaday.com/2005/01/18/n ... wer-cable/
Thanks I'll try that, I just need to get to my local Electronic surplus store to get the Resitors.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:40 pm

I havnt tried the Resistors yet, but I tried a LED on USB power, and it blinks also, and I also switched it to my PS2 Slim's USB ports and I still just get blinking. Does it have to be USB 2.0 or what?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Jongamer wrote:I havnt tried the Resistors yet, but I tried a LED on USB power, and it blinks also, and I also switched it to my PS2 Slim's USB ports and I still just get blinking. Does it have to be USB 2.0 or what?
It might be best. USB 1.1 only outputs 100mA, while 2.0 can go upto 500mA. If it's blinking... I doubt it but you don't have it set to one of the data signal connections, cause that would explain the blinking, but like I said I doubt.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:41 am

That accually sound like aResonable Answer, if its not Connecting to anything by Data It has no reason to send any power but once it Makes a Connection it allows it a Constant flow of Electricity.