What should I do with screwed up clamshell iBook?

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

mengfei
What should I do with screwed up clamshell iBook?

Post by mengfei » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 pm

I had ordered a used iBook Clamshell 366mhz off eBay, as I liked the aesthetics of the design.

However, after getting it, I was plagued by a myriad of issues.

First it was a dead battery.

Then the USB port broke off.

Now the new battery refuses to charge.

I also replaced the CD-ROM drive it had with a PC laptop's dvd drive, as the original cd-rom wouldn't read any CD-Rs.

Now that I can't get it to charge, nor do I have USB, this thing is just continuing to piss me off.

I thought maybe instead I'd mod it into something else, because it's not quite portable anymore.

Any ideas?

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 pm

Digital picture frame.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 pm

Trade you for a dead iBook G3! :D
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:47 pm

what did you pay for it and what would you want to sell it for? lol, i too like the clamhell ibooks, what color is it? and how dead of a ibook g3? lol

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:11 pm

Triton wrote:what did you pay for it and what would you want to sell it for? lol, i too like the clamhell ibooks, what color is it? and how dead of a ibook g3? lol
It's pretty dead... seems to be a logicboard-related video problem. The only way I've seen to fix it yourself is to use a heatgun to "carefully" (If that's possible :P ) melt the graphics chip back into place. Apparently over periods of 4-6 years, the graphics chips in older G3 iBooks actually came loose from their solder joints! :shock: So as I said before, pretty much dead as can be!
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 pm

i have a heatgun. hmmmm..... :lol:

SavageLych

Post by SavageLych » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Well solder melts at like 400 degrees F, so, a heat gun might work if you use it along with a infared thermometer to make sure it dosn't get to hot.... anyhting is worth a try at that point...

mengfei

Post by mengfei » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:16 am

Well, looks like I spoke too soon.

I've managed to get the iBook running pretty good! I'm happy with how it's going.

However, seeing how some of you were interested in buying... and I was also interested in getting an old Pentium II laptop and putting linux on it... I just might do that.

So here's the condition of the iBook.

So far, still no USB connection, but there is FireWire.

I replaced the stock CD-ROM drive with a Toshiba DVD-ROM drive. At first I just taped on the original iBook bezel to the the drive after removing the toshiba bezel, but I didn't like how I could only eject through the OS, so I put the Toshiba one back on, after hacking off bits of it to make it fit. For those of you interested in purchasing, if you'd like the original bezel included, I can throw that in.

Cosmetically, the iBook is in good shape.

I took out the modem, so that I could fit in a Lucent Orinoco wireless PCMCIA card instead of the ridiculously expensive Airport classic card. The Orinoco card still shows up as an Airport card because it uses the same chipset. It's been working perfectly so far.

So therefore... the port that used to have the dial up modem's jack is empty now.

There is still a LAN port.

I have Mac OS X 10.4 running on this 366 Mhz iBook with 320mb of RAM pretty smoothly.

Now here's the thing I was struggling with before... that I think I've fixed now.

I had bought a brand new battery for it, and then the AC adapter went dead, so after TWO replacements (cheated by an eBay seller, grrr!!), I finally have a working AC adapter, but somehow, I think due to the faulty AC adapter sold to me by the eBay seller, the new battery went wonky.

For example, it'll charge for a few percentage, and then stop.

I've found a way around this by, every time it stops, taking out the battery and putting it back in, then it resumes charging.

This seems to reset something in the battery to allow it to continue charging.

I'm hoping that once I charge it to 100%, this fixes the problem. Even if not, it wouldn't hurt me too much to buy a new battery, as they go for about $30 on eBay.

Now, for those of you interested in buying, I spent over $300 on this damn iBook, to this point, where it's finally working satisfactorily. I'm willing to part with it for about $300-320, and also willing to negotiate.

I'm not entirely inclined to sell it as of now, especially now that I finally have it working after all this time, but, as I said before, my recent infatuation with Linux is making me seriously consider selling it to get another laptop.

Also, for those that aren't interested in buying at all, do any of you know exactly what is causing the battery to charge like that?

Thanks
Mengfei

mengfei

Post by mengfei » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:18 am

Oh, and this iBook G3 is an Indigo Firewire model.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: What should I do with screwed up clamshell iBook?

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:22 am

mengfei wrote:Now the new battery refuses to charge.
Yeah I've had that problem on my HP, your charging circuit in the laptop is likely either not working or flat out broken. And with how old that thing is if it can't charge batteries the only thing you can do is leave it on A/C power to run.
I thought maybe instead I'd mod it into something else, because it's not quite portable anymore.

Any ideas?
You can make it into a simple desktop, go for it. If it still have a display working or at least can output to a VGA display, still has ethernet and can still read CD-Roms still can be of use then.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

mengfei

Post by mengfei » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:07 pm

Well... it does charge now... and runs off the battery, but thanks for the tip!

paul4990

Post by paul4990 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:12 pm

put linux on your ibook

paul4990

Post by paul4990 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:13 pm

and just solder the usb back in place

mengfei

Post by mengfei » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:04 am

I have considered soldering the USB back, but I don't have a soldering iron, nor the skills.

However, I'm working on obtaining such needed materials/knowledge. :-)

Droke

Post by Droke » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:05 am

Soldering is pretty easy, you just have to get an iron to learn :P

(Corse, as with most other things, use logic. It will save you a lot of $$$ and headaches.)