98 Unstable

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Joes2Silly
98 Unstable

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:42 pm

Well, I got my k6 to 550 Mhz stably (after adding a fan and new thermal compund)... But it was still overheating under Windows 98 over long periods of time. So I dropped the voltage from 2.7 to 2.6 volts and downloaded rain (cooling program for Windows 9x). Now it runs from high 40s to low 50s (celcius), but windows still will crash after long periods of time! What should I do :?:

official xbox fiend

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:16 pm

What's your definiton of "long periods of time"? If you mean days, just do what everyone did when they used Windowns 98, turn it off at night. If it's only after a number of hours, see about getting all the updates you can, it might be a glitch that was later fixed. Third possibility could be one of the programs you have running is causing the crash, or memery leak.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:16 pm

have you reinstalled windows yet or maybe installed with another copy of windows?

if yes and you still come up crashing you may have outright fried something...

*edit*

back in the day i had 98 running without crashes for months sometimes but that was on a computer that i didnt overclock. the one i did overclock locked up very so often but yeah long periods of time could mean anything.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 pm

it means over night and when im at school (roughly 8 hours)

official xbox fiend

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:12 pm

yeah thats not good...

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Thanks mister state the obvious....
Meh, I don't post much.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:30 pm

Thanks mister trolling.

Anyways, what kind of fans do you have in there? If it's a small one, you may consider getting a larger one. Another concern may be the bridge. If the system is being overclocked, it may be overheating. You could put some more case fans in and try positioning some of them to hit the bridge and the sink.

If that fails, then you may have to step down the clock just a bit. Because after that you step into the realm of Putting a house fan up to the side of the case or blowing a lot of money on a more advanced cooling system. Which is not cost effective for a system like this (unless this is just an overclocking experiment)
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:44 pm

okay, Im on that compuer now (after painfull network setup). Anyway I have a single 80mm intake fan. I may just drop down the speed to keep it stable

PS I also need help with Rain (program) When I click it it dosent go to the menu... I really need it to cool my CPU :(

official xbox fiend

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:35 am

you get a bsod at all? does just freeze up? or does it reboot?